HELP!!!! I NEED TO BUILD A INCUBATOR/HATCHER BY TOMORROW MORNING!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kryptoniteqhs, Dec 27, 2008.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Ok so I made a mistake and put 2 sets of eggs in the bator. The first set to hatch on New Years Eve and the second set on January 6th. I only have one incubator and no hatcher. Everyone is out of incubators!! I know, I didnt plan ahead, totally brainfarted when I did this!! So I went everywhere trying to make one and NOTHING worked!! I even went to a hardware store and dropped 20 bucks for them to try and make it and it ended up melting the ducktape!!! What do I do???? I currently have a styrofoam cooler and a bunch of other crap I probably dont need! Please help!!

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I don't know anything about this, but I think if you search for "skillet" you can find people on BYC who made skillet incubators, or something like that.

3. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    ok thanks!!

4. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    do you have a hen you can put them under. I have some that go broody at the drop of a hat. I have a cochin banty right now surragate for a half cookoo Maran half I have no idea

5. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    i dont!! wish i did [​IMG] The broody "type" ones are too young still and the others are rirs and dont go broody!! err

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

MissPrissy has a link in her signature to a thread with instructions on making a good homemade bator out of a styrofoam cooler. Check it out.

7. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  8. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    thanks guys....i dont think i can get all that stuff by tomorrow am....i think im just going to try it and see what happens [​IMG]

9. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    i thought you said the first batch was not to hatch until new years eve you still have time to make one.

10. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, make this simple on yourself. Get a box, a heavy one if possible. Put a 40 to 60 watt light bulb into it somehow. Either a drop light or a lamp of some sort. Take a metal vegetable can with the top cut out and fill it with hot water and place it about a 1/4 inch from the light. Place a thermometer inside at about mid egg height. Place a cover over the box like a piece of plywood or something stiff. A piece of glass or plexiglass would be better, then you can see inside to watch temp and eggs. Regulate your temp by venting out the top. Use like a stick or something to prop the top open a bit until the temp holds at 100. You might have to keep adjusting how much venting you have but it should hold pretty close. Always better to be a bit cool than to be to hot.
    It's backwoods makeshift but believe me it works.
    Our first incubator was a large Pyrex bowl with a wire basket inside and placed under a heat lamp. Hatched our first two chicks out of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by