Help, I need to write and ordinance

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by VeronicaKnox, Mar 7, 2011.

1. VeronicaKnox

VeronicaKnox New Egg

Mar 7, 2011
    Hi,
    I need a sample ordinance to go by to submit an ordinance to my town. I've been asked by the city to get rid of my hens and I do not want to. I'm sure you all know how chickens make good city pets. Any help is appreciated. Please send me a message if you have a sample ordinance I can copy.
    Thanks,
    Veronica

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Perhaps you could look through this and find conditions that reflect what you want. Then maybe try to get a copy of that specific ordinance. There are a lot of different possible restrictions, such as distance to property line instead of distance to someone's house. Maybe no roosters. Maybe no butchering within city limits. Maybe a maximun number of chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/laws/search.php

Good luck! I applaud your effort! [​IMG]

3. tcbfan5

tcbfan5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Kansas
    Bumping post....

I don't have any ideas at this time, but i would think that you could get some ideas from someone else...good luck

4. VeronicaKnox

VeronicaKnox New Egg

Mar 7, 2011
    Thanks, I don't want any neighbors mad at me. I think whoever complained would never have done that if I hadn't forgotten to put my hens back in their chicken run yesterday. I let them out to eat bugs and weeds for a while and then forgot to put them back up after Church last night. I think what happened is they got into my neighbors mulch and scattered. I guess he doesn't appreciate that they were eating his garden pests for him, and the only cost was a five minute sweep up. Actually, it didn't take me that long to sweep the mulch back into place. sigh. And I've been sharing the eggs with him. I hope I don't have to give up my hens. I plan on introducing a chicken friendly ordinance at the next board meeting.

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Good luck!

6. sune42

sune42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    I suggested to my council,
    1 Every single family home can keep no more than 6 hens for egg gathering purposes.
    2 Roosters are prohibited
    3 Slaughtering on property is prohibited
    4 Coop must be 10 feet from property line
    5 Coop and run must be kept in a clean and sanitary condition as not to create offensive odors

As for the actual fancy wording, here is a link from the University of Kentucky that lists cities in KY, perhaps one of their wordings may help http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Ordinances.html

7. VeronicaKnox

VeronicaKnox New Egg

Mar 7, 2011
    Thanks Amanda, that will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by