Help, I need to write and ordinance

VeronicaKnox

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Hi,
I need a sample ordinance to go by to submit an ordinance to my town. I've been asked by the city to get rid of my hens and I do not want to. I'm sure you all know how chickens make good city pets. Any help is appreciated. Please send me a message if you have a sample ordinance I can copy.
Thanks,
Veronica

Perhaps you could look through this and find conditions that reflect what you want. Then maybe try to get a copy of that specific ordinance. There are a lot of different possible restrictions, such as distance to property line instead of distance to someone's house. Maybe no roosters. Maybe no butchering within city limits. Maybe a maximun number of chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/laws/search.php

Good luck! I applaud your effort!
clap.gif

Bumping post....

I don't have any ideas at this time, but i would think that you could get some ideas from someone else...good luck

Thanks, I don't want any neighbors mad at me. I think whoever complained would never have done that if I hadn't forgotten to put my hens back in their chicken run yesterday. I let them out to eat bugs and weeds for a while and then forgot to put them back up after Church last night. I think what happened is they got into my neighbors mulch and scattered. I guess he doesn't appreciate that they were eating his garden pests for him, and the only cost was a five minute sweep up. Actually, it didn't take me that long to sweep the mulch back into place. sigh. And I've been sharing the eggs with him. I hope I don't have to give up my hens. I plan on introducing a chicken friendly ordinance at the next board meeting.

I suggested to my council,
1 Every single family home can keep no more than 6 hens for egg gathering purposes.
2 Roosters are prohibited
3 Slaughtering on property is prohibited
4 Coop must be 10 feet from property line
5 Coop and run must be kept in a clean and sanitary condition as not to create offensive odors

As for the actual fancy wording, here is a link from the University of Kentucky that lists cities in KY, perhaps one of their wordings may help http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Ordinances.html

Back
Top Bottom