Help! I Think I've been had!

acreekjumper

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
First post and newbie chicken guy here!
Story.... Without educating myself first, I purchased the three in mid June. The lady ASSURED me they were all hens and would be laying mid-late August.

Well.. 2 weeks ago the red one started crowing(weird sounding tho). then a week later, the one to the right started(also weird sounding). PUHLEEZE help me determine sex and breed on these.
GREAT community here by the way!

I can certainly supply more pics, I'm reroofing the coop so they're in a temporary run.
he.gif

Yep, you have 2 roosters and 1 Barred Rock hen. All roosters sound pretty strange when they start crowing. In mid June when you got them, she may not have really been able to tell their gender and she may have been deluding herself as much as you. You will need to get some more hens or that lone hen will get too much attention from the 2 roosters.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Oh boy, I'm assuming the one with the smallest crown is the hen? Er, like I said, extreme newbie. There's some great info on this site that I'm looking through. Guess I better see if I can find that ladies # and see if I can return without a reciept
hmm.png

Thanks for the welcome!

I've really gotta educate myself before I start keeping Roos for breeding. This was gonna be my families fresh egg experiment.

Yep, you have 2 roosters and 1 Barred Rock hen. All roosters sound pretty strange when they start crowing. In mid June when you got them, she may not have really been able to tell their gender and she may have been deluding herself as much as you. You will need to get some more hens or that lone hen will get too much attention from the 2 roosters.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
X2

you have to be really good to sex chicks .you cant just look at newbies and say o thats going to be a hen for shore dont work that way.you can sex them by there wings but it has to be done with in the first 3 days after that cant be done and then its all just the luck of the draw.

I've really gotta educate myself before I start keeping Roos for breeding. This was gonna be my families fresh egg experiment.
Right, the one with the smaller comb on her head is the Barred Rock Hen. It is a really nice breed. Considering that she assured you they were hens, hopefully she will take them back. Of course you don't need to breed chickens just because you have a roo, You can just collect all the eggs. However, if you have kids younger than 3 years or roosters are not allowed in your area, then the roosters should probably go. But I will put a good word in for roosters because I love the ones I have.

Another silly question. Assuming I keep one roo, will the majority of the eggs be fertilized? I'm sure there's not an exact formula, we'd really like to eat a few of them.
smile.png

Also, should I keep the other BR or the red mystery breed for my resident Roo?
Thanks!

Another silly question. Assuming I keep one roo, will the majority of the eggs be fertilized? I'm sure there's not an exact formula, we'd really like to eat a few of them.
smile.png

Also, should I keep the other BR or the red mystery breed for my resident Roo?
Thanks!

yes - the eggs will be fertilized, but the good news is that is no reason you can't eat as many of them as you wish. Fertilized eggs are no different than unfertilized eggs until they are "set" and start to develop into a chick.....which does not happen right away. A hen will lay several eggs over the period of a week or more and then start to set the clutch, and only when she is broody, so if you gather your eggs daily you will not have any worries.

Back
Top Bottom