Help!! I think my baby chick may be sick/infection/abscess

theacw

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
MN
So my cuddley, quiet girl has been extra snuggley lately. And tonight when I was rubbing her chest as she slept like I usually do, I realized that what I thought was muscle or fat for awhile.... may not be normal. Because the chest of my other chick is boney and this one has almost a bubble and feels like its filled with fluid and now I am freaaaking out. Because shes been extra chirpy and snuggley so I am afraid she is sick and has an abcess. As she is sleeping right now, against my face, my face is vibrating like she is shaking.

What can I do? I am sooo attached to her. Do you think she will be ok for awhile? Do vets see chicks? HELP! WHAT SHOULD I DO!?
sad.png

Is it possible that you're feeling her crop? Does it change in size (like full at nite and empty in the morning)?

Calm down, it probably is your chicks crop. If it is to the left of her breastbone, it is normal to bulge out quite large when she is full. It should be down in the morning. I know you worry when it is your first time, but chances are she is just fine.

Ok, its HUGE, marble sized. I am afraid she is going to get sick really fast. Now I am really freaking out as she is a pet to me and I have grown quite attached.

Sorry, you guys replied so fast that I didnt see those posts before my second one. Thank you.

I feel better now, I figured it wasnt normal since the other didnt have it and shes been so quiet lately.

If I look at her head on its more towards the left side (so her right side). I cant recall the past what its like but I do remember feeling it before and thinkings its muscle. Its definitely round, marble sized, and full of fluid.

Ahh, I feel better now. Thank you for the quick replies.

Last edited:
Your chick is most likely constipated. It can get easily plugged especially if it's small. You need to soak it's bum in warm water and remove it's "waste". I wish I would of known the answer before my little one passed...
hit.gif
when I got her 2 days ago from the pet store they didn't warn us of this happening. Poor little guy...
In Loving Memory~ Oreo. <3

Back
Top Bottom