HELP!!! I think my drake tried to mate with the other drake

Carley0903

Hatching
Jul 24, 2021
For the record, I have no problem with having gay ducks. I am just worried they are going to hurt each other. Ive read it may be because of the season (its summer) and they are only 5 months old. should I separate them? for how long? are they safe to be together? I cant get females and I really want to keep both of them.

For the record, I have no problem with having gay ducks. I am just worried they are going to hurt each other. Ive read it may be because of the season (its summer) and they are only 5 months old. should I separate them? for how long? are they safe to be together? I cant get females and I really want to keep both of them.
Drakes will indeed Mount each other as will ducks.
Drakes are more sexually agressive during spring and summer months and yes, an all bachelor flock will sometimes turn that agression towards each other with no females present.
If they are hurting each other then yes. You need to seperate them.

My Drakes usually calm down when they go into eclipse plumage around this time of year.
How long they remain seperated will just depend on them. Sometimes all drake flocks work sometimes they don't.

Drakes will indeed Mount each other as will ducks.
Drakes are more sexually agressive during spring and summer months and yes, an all bachelor flock will sometimes turn that agression towards each other with no females present.
If they are hurting each other then yes. You need to seperate them.
ive only seen it happen once and the one who was mounted was not hurt. how would I know if it is hurting one enough to need to separate them?

ive only seen it happen once and the one who was mounted was not hurt. how would I know if it is hurting one enough to need to separate them?
You will just have to use your judgment by how often it's happening, start seeing feathers being ripped out, One chasing the other relentlessly or the two of them fighting, one of them starts limping or something.

Back
Top Bottom