Help identify my new Bantam please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Elmpixie, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Elmpixie

Elmpixie Hatching

Mar 26, 2018
    Hi! I just got this years chicks and I picked one bantam I’d never seen anything like! Anyone got any ideas?
    Brown mottling, pink feathered feet, frayed looking wing feathers, 5 toes on only one foot. Came from an assorted bantam selection.

Attached Files:

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    @nicalandia Marvin, I haven't a clue, can you ID this bird?
    Best,
    Karen

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    From the pictures, I can clearly see Silkie genetics(Inhibited Fibromelanotic showing on Chick's beak... and I also see the 5 toes) if the Chick has white/yellow skin under the chick down, I can say for certain that it's a cockerel,

3riverschick likes this.
  4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    I didn't know you could tell the sex by the color of the skin! That's cool! Thanks for chiming in nicalandia.
    Best,
    Karen

5. FritzChicks

FritzChicks In the Brooder

Jan 10, 2017
    I'd say Silkie just by the looks. The 5 toes is pretty neat. I have my Dorkin who is a 5 toed Chicken :)

6. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Looks to be a Silkie.

7. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

I'd think Partridge Silkie. :)

~Alex

8. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    Depends on the cross, Silkie rooster crossed to a yellow/white shanked hen will produce sex links, the roosters will have yellow/white skin and pullets will have black skin, it's because sex linked Id(sex linked dermal inhibitor which causes yellow/white shanks) will inhibit the effect of Fibromelanotic Fm gene found on Silkies(which causes black skin) and from that cross(Silkie rooster x Yellow/white shank hens) the pullets will inherit the id+ and Fm from Silkie sire and the cockerels will inherit one copy of Id(Id/id+ Fm/fm+) from mother, their skin will be white/yellow... but Fm will give the males a dark colored beak not found on regular Id chicks..

3riverschick likes this.
  9. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Free Ranging

Grey silkie with light skin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: