Help identify this mystifying chick please!

Mar 17, 2018
Desert southwest, a farm in N.M.
My Coop
My Coop
This little chick started out slow, much slower than the others, got him in a mixed batch of bantams at tractor supply, when his friends outgrew him I put him in with the younger bantams I had bought, then he quickly flourished and all of a sudden was huge! So maybe the other birds had been picking on him, though I never saw that. It could just be the others grew so much faster because they ended up being brahma bantams. Anyway I have searched and searched and can't seem to identify what he is, I'm sure it will be obvious to one of you seasoned chickeneers. I hope so anyway :) he is extremely muscular and has very tiny wings, he's about 4 to 5 weeks old and barely finally this week getting some real wings. I think the slow feathering is because he will be a rooster but we will see! Also has a very scant amount of feathers on his legs. Very full and fat bottom/belly/butt area, kind of like how a Cornish cross has a fat bottom/belly area.
So last week hey had another one that looked like him when he was a baby so I got her, she already has long wings, so I definitely think his slow feathering is because he's a rooster all the pics are of him, the last one is the new possible female, other than the wing difference he looked identical to her when he was a baby so I do think they are the same species. My local tractor supply uses the privet hatchery in Portales n.m. which has this entire list of
Screenshot_2018-04-12-01-25-59.png
Screenshot_2018-04-12-01-26-59.png
Screenshot_2018-04-12-01-26-48.png
20180412_010319.jpg
Screenshot_2018-04-12-01-46-38.png
Screenshot_2018-04-06-19-09-46.png
bantams. I looked up each one and still couldn't identify him!

Ok I will, thanks.
[My other brahmas all look way different though, I have light and dark., about 15, various ages from 2 weeks to 7 weeks. (Unless of course I misidentified those!) This is the newest clear pic I have, it was when they were 3 or 4 weeks old, they are almost 2 months now and very full feathered. they match the pics for brahmas perfect now I just haven't got a good recent pic.]

If they are brahmas then I don't think these other two unknowns are. I'm kinda thinking they aren't on the hatcheries bantam list, maybe they are a full sized chicken that got mixed up... or could they be cochin bantams?
{Again this pic is of the ones I think are brahmas for comparison}
20180317_004926.jpg

I think the chick in the first four pictures is a light Brahma and the chick in the last photo is a white D'Uccle. They are clearly different breeds if you look at the wing coloring of both. Light Brahmas are not white but have the columbian color pattern-- white with black at the neck, wings and tail. White D'Uccle will be all white. The other, darker chick is a dark Brahma, and it is a completely different color pattern from the white.

Thanks for your help!
I'm leaning toward thinking the unknowns are cochins too. Of course i thought the same thing about the ones that i think are brahmas now...maybe i just want them to be cochins haha!
These are my original ones I think are brahmas the 2ND to the last pic is of the one who is the same age as the unknown light one, I think he's a Brahma or cochin. It's just that the one I can't figure out what he is, is so different than the others, his wings are so small and he is so muscular.he's the last pic. all pics are from today
20180412_164742.jpg
1. this one I call a brahma 7 or so weeks old I have 3 or 4 of these, one is kinda different looking.

20180412_164529.jpg
2. this one I call a light brahma it is huge and fat 7 or so weeks old I have 2 of them both are much fatter than the first pics kind, bought them all the same day and got more and more chicken fever since then!

20180412_165011.jpg
3. I think this is a dark brahma or black cochin. This one is the same age as the one I'm trying to figure out, which is this last pic, I will put him again since I have so many pics I've probably just caused confusion! The first post has better pics of him. I'm not sure exactly how old as I have bought so many bantams my "records" got confused.but I think they are 3.5 weeks old. I did buy them the same day along with some old English bantams that are much smaller than either.
20180412_010128.jpg

Mr. Unknown today.

Back
Top Bottom