Help identifying 4-week old chick breed

LaurenK93

Chirping
Sep 23, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone. We are very new to the world of chicks/chickens, and came into this very unexpectedly. My husband and I recently bought a 30-acre hobby farm and will be relocating our horses here in about a month. We had planned to get laying hens in the spring, but ended up with an orphaned, lone chick that I have been raising since it was 1-2 days old (which is a whole story in and of itself). It is now about 4.5 weeks old and doing really well! This forum was very helpful as I was scrambling to figure out how to take care of it on the first day. I got the appropriate chick starter, waterer, bedding, and even a rather pricey brooder plate which was honestly a great purchase – our chick has loved it and I love that I don't stress about the risk of fire like I would with a heat lamp. Anyways, I have no clue what type of chicken it may be as I don't know its origins, so I am wondering if anyone has any insight. I've attached photos of the chick when we first got it, all the way up until now. It is mainly white with a few black feathers and grey legs/feet. If anyone has any thoughts on what type of chicken our chick may be, I'd be appreciative! Thanks so much!
IMG-3711.jpg
IMG-3712.jpg
IMG-3725.jpg
IMG-3781.jpg
IMG-3798.jpg
IMG-3799.jpg

Was it a 'fall off the truck' chick? It's definitely a cockerel - possibly a meat bird or sexlink?

That little boy is going to need some ladies to keep him company. I'd add at least 2 sexed pullets asap.
He was a “we did a first walkthrough of our new farm which the current owners all but abandoned, and he got left behind and was surrounded by dead, half eaten chicks” chick :(. I just could not leave him there. I already have 4 6-week olds ordered for next week. We don’t take possession of the farm until next week and currently live in the city, so one chick is all I could handle keeping in my garage! I had a feeling he was a meat variety but wasn’t sure!

Was it a 'fall off the truck' chick? It's definitely a cockerel - possibly a meat bird or sexlink?

That little boy is going to need some ladies to keep him company. I'd add at least 2 sexed pullets asap.

Back
Top Bottom