Help identifying 4 week old chick!

halleyd591

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2017
Statesville, NC

I rescued these babies about 2 weeks ago from a girl who got them "for Easter" and had no idea how to take care of them. Several died so she asked me if I would take them. OF COARSE!!!!
They are 4 weeks old and she got them from Tractor Supply. Box was marked "Chicks Straight Run". I know Straight Run means not sexed but curious if anyone know what breeds I may be dealing with?? They were yellow with black spots but feathers seem to be coming in all white. I am hoping they will be layers and not broilers? Is there any way I can tell at this point? Thanks for any info!!

on the third pic the chick behind look very cockerelish, the one in front looks female! Plus the little one with a blue beak and comb, I'm sure is a silkie except it hasn't got a poofy head like silkies do! And its probably female! xxx
bun.gif

Middle picture you can see the black spots on her head...They both had black spots before feathers started coming in...I don't see any black feathers though.

I have been feeding medicated starter feed. I have never raised meat birds before. I am still not 100% sure on breed. Time will tell I guess. What should I be doing with feed for them if they are in fact meat birds? Is it OK to continue on the medicated feed? For how long? What age/weight should we process?

Back
Top Bottom