Help identifying a chicken!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PussCat, Jun 17, 2009.

1. PussCat

PussCat Hatching

Jun 17, 2009
    Been to our local motor club meeting tonight and one of the guys there had a chicken he was looking to home! He found it in an abandoned caravan, on its own... it's only young, as you can see from the pics....

I'm planning to take it to the local chicken farmand see if they'll take it on..... if not, we might just keep it!

Anyway - here he / she is!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

does anyone know what kinda chicken it is?? and what to feed it?? it was very thirsty til I put the catbowl of water in with it lol...

2. LuLuBelle

LuLuBelle Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Give it some water, and you can give it medicated chicken feed for the babies that will help them grow a little bit. Also make sure you have a heat light to keep it comfy!

3. PussCat

PussCat Hatching

Jun 17, 2009
    thanks for that.... I've never had a chicken before, lol....

any idea what breed it might be?? I'm guessing from the size it's probably about 6 weeks old?

4. LuLuBelle

LuLuBelle Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    You can try Dumor chicken feed or something similar to that.

5. marytoast

marytoast Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I do not know what breed it is but it is very pretty. I would keep it!

6. She might be a mix. [​IMG] And I'm thinking that she's more of about 4 weeks old.

For now, you can scramble some eggs and I'm sure she'll gobble it up right away. When you go to buy feed, make sure it's chick starter or chick starter/grower. Not adult chicken food. She's too young for that. [​IMG]

7. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Songster

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Some Walmarts even carry chick starter...if you can get to a feed store they would have feeders/waterer and the right food for sure. I agree that she is younger 3-4 weeks...she could be a Australorp, that's the only thing I've ever had that sorta looked like her!

8. PussCat

PussCat Hatching

Jun 17, 2009
    thing is, I'm in the UK..... will see if I can get to a pet feed store tomorrow [​IMG]

I'll go and try some scrambled egg now!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  9. she's a girl, and appears to have a black back and black wings, a white breast, and a few wisps of orange/brown on the hackles... right?

I've never seen a breed like that! So it's most likely a mutt, and, if not, you can look up the Feathersite--they've got every breed under the sun!

10. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Quote:You should keep it, I'll bet it'll make a great pet. [​IMG] Poor little thing!

By the way: [​IMG]

Kinda thought you were British....what is the American equivalent for a caravan?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: