help identifying chickens

Italychickens

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 17, 2012
Hi, We live in Italy and have recently started keeping chickens. We received these chickens, two hens and a rooster, from some friends, and everyone around here refers to this type of chicken as an "American chicken" meaning a bantam... It has feathered, or booted feet, is on the small side, and lays smallish, somewhat cream colored eggs (very yellow center.) If I could figure out how to upload a picture of them, I'll attach it below. The hens are black. The rooster is also mostly black with orange, red and gold feathers, some white in the back plume. Very beautiful. We are new to this and have a lot of questions! In fact, one of the hen is in the pollaio (chicken house in Italian) and is sitting in the box, has been for days... we're wondering what she is up to.... The other hen had ben laying an egg a day starting just after Christmas. Any help identifying them would be great.. then we can start asking appropriate questions!!

Last edited:
The one who has been in the box for days is probably broody, meaning her "mother" hormones have kicked in, and she is ready to sit on and hatch eggs, and raise the chicks. They won't lay eggs while they are broody. Hopefully she'll give up after a few weeks. When I have one and don't want chicks, I take them off the nest at least once or twice a day and prod them to move around, eat and drink. They will usually go back to the nest in a few minutes, but at least I know they're getting some nutrition. Occasionally a broody won't get off the nest at all, but usually they will get up once a day to take care of eating, etc.

There are methods people use to "break a broody," or get her to give up, as well.

If we did want her to have chicks... I am worried it is too cold. The have a chicken coop, we let them out during the day to forage, but it is still winter here. Freezing at night, etc. I could certainly coax her out to break her from the brooding if she would go back into brooding later in the spring. Does that happen? Seriously, we're novices here.

If we did want her to have chicks... I am worried it is too cold. The have a chicken coop, we let them out during the day to forage, but it is still winter here. Freezing at night, etc. I could certainly coax her out to break her from the brooding if she would go back into brooding later in the spring. Does that happen? Seriously, we're novices here.

Yes, she will likely go broody again in a few months. Make sure you take away all eggs if you don't want any hatching (although if she has been sitting on them for a number of days, there are probably some that are developing--you can candle to be sure.

I do not recognise the breed. They are likely either a mix or something local to Italy. You might ask SilverSilkie. He has ties to Italy.

Thank you so much. I will try to candle the eggs (er, any advice here would be welcome as well!) and contact silversilkie!. All the advice is greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom