Help identifying this cockerel

Floof

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 28, 2015
I'm thinking of picking up this cockerel for breeding in the spring. My goal this year is to make easter egger sex links so I'm hoping to get an ameraucana (ideally splash but I'm not willing to drive hours or spend $$$ so I'll take what I can get). Would you guys say this is a blue or self blue ameraucana? The lady offering him up says blue but he seems very light to me.
SmartSelect_20201219-211934_Signal.jpg

Does she breed Ameraucanas? Can you ask her where she got him or who his parents were? I've seen some really light blues however he does look a little like a self blue/lavender, knowing his parents would help :D
I'm not sure what all the details are, just that she got eggs from someone she trusts has real ameraucanas but doesn't want to keep the male that hatched. From her photos I did see a splash hen so maybe she had b/b/s genes from those eggs.

So I understand BBS way better but to clarify, if this bird is lavendar and bred to a barred rock, the resulting sex linked offspring will just be black and barred? If the babies are blue and barred then I will know hes just a light blue?

So I understand BBS way better but to clarify, if this bird is lavendar and bred to a barred rock, the resulting sex linked offspring will just be black and barred? If the babies are blue and barred then I will know hes just a light blue?
BBS wouldn’t change anything....it’s not “way better.”
He will put out, when mated with a BR, black pullets and barred cockerels.

BBS wouldn’t change anything....it’s not “way better.”
He will put out, when mated with a BR, black pullets and barred cockerels.
What I said was that I understand BBS better, as in I have read the information on how those genes express. I am less familiar with lavender but understand that they do not work the same way at all.

What I said was that I understand BBS better, as in I have read the information on how those genes express. I am less familiar with lavender but understand that they do not work the same way at all.
Ah, ok. Sorry I misunderstood, I read that wrong.
Lavender, when mixed with most other colors, puts out black - try some crosses with this chicken calculator. https://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Back
Top Bottom