Help identifying what type of peafowl we have.

edamaske

In the Brooder
May 1, 2015
Eagle Wi
My pea family was left behind by the pervious owners
I see all different types of peafowl and if they are bread with this the will be that... I need some help figuring out what we have here.....

We have a total of 13, 5 hens and 8 cocks... we had more but the Winter in Wisconsin was a cold one and although we opened the barn for them, they are free range and are not used to going in there. Working on a better set up for this winter! Any help telling me what we have would be great!

My pea family was left behind by the pervious owners
I see all different types of peafowl and if they are bread with this the will be that... I need some help figuring out what we have here.....

We have a total of 13, 5 hens and 8 cocks... we had more but the Winter in Wisconsin was a cold one and although we opened the barn for them, they are free range and are not used to going in there. Working on a better set up for this winter! Any help telling me what we have would be great!
Okay, first picture is distant, but appears to be a Black shoulder hen probably an India Blue Black Shoulder ( black shoulders can come in different colors).

Second picture is an India Blue Black Shoulder male

Third picture is an India Blue (wild type) male and he appears to have some darker patches on his shoulder so he is likely carrying a recessive Black shoulder gene.

Fourth is an India blue (wild type) hen.

The wild type or barred wing pattern is dominant over the Black shoulder pattern, when you cross the 2, the offspring will come out wild type, when you breed those offspring you will start to see babies in both patterns.

Okay, first picture is distant, but appears to be a Black shoulder hen probably an India Blue Black Shoulder ( black shoulders can come in different colors).

Second picture is an India Blue Black Shoulder male

Third picture is an India Blue (wild type) male and he appears to have some darker patches on his shoulder so he is likely carrying a recessive Black shoulder gene.

Fourth is an India blue (wild type) hen.

The wild type or barred wing pattern is dominant over the Black shoulder pattern, when you cross the 2, the offspring will come out wild type, when you breed those offspring you will start to see babies in both

Thank you for the help!

So any of my new hens will all be the wild type. Unless the come from my white lady Jane? (The Black shoulder hen)

Unfortunately I believe these guys are all related some how. I am hoping to add some new hens soon.... Gotta get that husband on board..

So any of my new hens will all be the wild type. Unless the come from my white lady Jane? (The Black shoulder hen)

Since you have inherited this flock, we have no idea how many generations have been breeding together. It is possible that all your wild types already carry recessive Black shoulder genes. If both parents are wild type but both carry the B.S. gene then the offspring would be 1/4 pure wild type, 1/2 would be wild type split(carrying) B.S. , and 1/4 would be Black shoulder. The B.S. hen Lady Jane carries 2 B.S. genes and 0 wild type genes, if she breeds with the B.S. male all offspring will be B. S. and if she breeds with a wild type split(carrying) B.S. they will be 1/2 wild type and 1/2 B.S., and if she bred with a pure wild type all offspring will be wild type split(carrying) B.S. When a Pea carries a single gene for something we say they are split to that. Hope the abbreviations aren't too confusing. Its really just simple dominant vs. recessive genetics.

Unfortunately I believe these guys are all related some how. I am hoping to add some new hens soon.... Gotta get that husband on board..

They are probably all related, and as such you will probably get offspring in both patterns. Just tell hubby how big the feed bill is gonna be if you end up with a flock of 2 headed Peacocks, afterall they eat twice as much!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom