Help identifying worms and treatment

TT0511

Hatching
Dec 2, 2023
Hello,

I’m raising a flock of 14 Beilefelders. One is a weird hybrid rooster - a Silkie Beilefelder mix apparently based on his feathering.

Today I noticed a couple of droppings in rainwater collected on top of a 5 gallon bucket feeder that appear to be wormy. There was also a dropping in the run with a bloody spot. Pics attached.

As a new chicken owner, (these hatched early May) I’m not confident in diagnosis or treatment yet. Your experience and help are appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2182.jpeg
    IMG_2182.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2183.jpeg
    IMG_2183.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2184.jpeg
    IMG_2184.jpeg
    600.2 KB · Views: 15
The first photo is quite strange, could be because it was in water.
3rd photo there's a lot of mucous and intestinal shedding.

Is anyone acting off or sick?

I'd be inclined to consider deworming. If you have a vet that can run a fecal float that's always a good idea, but some vets just will not do it.

For deworming you can use Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole).

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Thanks! I’ll get some dewormer as advised. I don’t know of any off behavior but we’ve had one sick chicken quarantined for two weeks now. We suspect that chicken has some kind of genetic problem because it’s same symptoms as one of our chicks had in the first 1-2 months of life. We suspect it’s the same chicken.

Are the eggs from the chickens safe to eat?

Thanks! I’ll get some dewormer as advised. I don’t know of any off behavior but we’ve had one sick chicken quarantined for two weeks now. We suspect that chicken has some kind of genetic problem because it’s same symptoms as one of our chicks had in the first 1-2 months of life. We suspect it’s the same chicken.

Are the eggs from the chickens safe to eat?
What type of genetic problem? Trouble walking, leg deformity or?

Fenbendazole and Albendazole have a 14 day withdrawal period.

That one chick when it was young and in the brooder lost the ability to stand and also seemed like it was almost lifeless. Almost no movement for days and days. Until one day we found her standing and acting normal again. We added her back to the flock. Fast forward from June/July to a couple weeks ago - same symptoms except after two weeks, I’m not sure she’s going to make it and no idea how to help her. We have her isolated in the brooder with food and water with vitamins. She mostly hasn’t picked her head up but one day, a few days ago she acted like she had gotten a lot better suddenly and was moving around, alert, etc. I thought we’d be able to add her back to the flock in a day or two, but that ‘apparent’ Recovery disappeared overnight several days ago.

That one chick when it was young and in the brooder lost the ability to stand and also seemed like it was almost lifeless. Almost no movement for days and days. Until one day we found her standing and acting normal again. We added her back to the flock. Fast forward from June/July to a couple weeks ago - same symptoms except after two weeks, I’m not sure she’s going to make it and no idea how to help her. We have her isolated in the brooder with food and water with vitamins. She mostly hasn’t picked her head up but one day, a few days ago she acted like she had gotten a lot better suddenly and was moving around, alert, etc. I thought we’d be able to add her back to the flock in a day or two, but that ‘apparent’ Recovery disappeared overnight several days ago.
Sounds like you might be dealing with Marek's.

Back
Top Bottom