HELP!!!! I'm having computer problems.

SouthernLady

Songster
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Mississippi
My daughter was on the computer and said all the icons disappeared. Also the tool bar at the bottom has disappeared. I've tried rebooting. The icons appear for a second and then disappear. They appeared long enough for me to click on the internet and also my virus scan. What can I do????

Quote:
Nothing happens.
sad.png

The icons and start menu are run by a process called explore.exe. It sounds like it has a problem. Reboot your computer and press F8 while windows is starting to go to safe mode. From there you should be able to restore it to a previously working configuration.

My DH, the database programmer, says that it sounds like Windows Explorer is crashing.

He says do the following:

1. Hit CTRL + ALT + Delete.

2. Click "Task Manager" button.

3. When that appears, choose File + New Task, then type "Explorer" and hit enter.

4. That should relaunch Windows Explorer.

*Note: Windows Explorer isn't the same thing as Internet Explorer.

He thinks that if you have a major issue, Windows Explorer might very well crash again after you do this. You might have to do a repair restore with your Windows software, or run a different brand of antivirus software (they are not all created equal) because it might pick up something your current software missed.

Thanks to all who have responded. I ran a system restore and things seem to be better, but still not 100%. I'll keep working on it. I hate to have to spend the money to take it into the shop.

Back
Top Bottom