HELP!!!! I'm having computer problems.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by SouthernLady, Nov 23, 2008.

1. SouthernLady

SouthernLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Mississippi
    My daughter was on the computer and said all the icons disappeared. Also the tool bar at the bottom has disappeared. I've tried rebooting. The icons appear for a second and then disappear. They appeared long enough for me to click on the internet and also my virus scan. What can I do????

2. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    can you do a system restore? its located in the control panel. try to restore it to yesterday or something.

3. SouthernLady

Sep 7, 2008
    Mississippi
    Quote:I can't get to my start button. Is there any other way to get to it?

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Press the Windows key on the keyboard.

5. SouthernLady

Sep 7, 2008
    Mississippi
    Quote:Nothing happens. [​IMG]

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    The icons and start menu are run by a process called explore.exe. It sounds like it has a problem. Reboot your computer and press F8 while windows is starting to go to safe mode. From there you should be able to restore it to a previously working configuration.

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    My DH, the database programmer, says that it sounds like Windows Explorer is crashing.

He says do the following:

1. Hit CTRL + ALT + Delete.

2. Click "Task Manager" button.

3. When that appears, choose File + New Task, then type "Explorer" and hit enter.

4. That should relaunch Windows Explorer.

*Note: Windows Explorer isn't the same thing as Internet Explorer.

He thinks that if you have a major issue, Windows Explorer might very well crash again after you do this. You might have to do a repair restore with your Windows software, or run a different brand of antivirus software (they are not all created equal) because it might pick up something your current software missed.

8. SouthernLady

Sep 7, 2008
    Mississippi
    Thanks to all who have responded. I ran a system restore and things seem to be better, but still not 100%. I'll keep working on it. I hate to have to spend the money to take it into the shop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by