Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

Pics
Oh ! Pick me! Australian cattle dogs are the sweetest things! They are active and enjoy the outdoors, and they are very affectionate. Not yappy at all.
Are those the same as australian shepherds? I love the looks of them, but I think that they might be a combination of big and active that won't work for us.

Free feeding is not something that we know how to deal with for dogs lol (from years of goldens and labs who gobble up ANYTHING)

If not doing formal obedience classes, we'd (everyone collectively) will definitely be doing sit, down, recall, drop it, (any other basic ones that I"m forgetting right now, and I individually would like to attempt to focus on heeling, and maybe rolling over (because it's cute)

Oh yeah, totally has to do with pitch.
If you are already used to dealing with greedy dogs (not aggressive, just very food motivated) then that is good. And just keep a close eye on their condition. Many people over estimate how much food they actually need. Anytime we kenneled our corgis they always came back pudgy :lol:

Just the obedience basics are fine (Heads up that “drop it” is likely to be particularly important). I did a puppy obedience class with mine but my parents just trained all theirs on their own.

Then it may help to know that they typically have deep, “big dog” sounding barks.

This is a myth. Color is not linked to aggression. It is possible that you saw more aggressive tan/buff cockers locally because a local breeder was producing that specific color, and that breeder also happened to have crappy temperaments. Temperament is genetic, but is not linked to color. It's a correlation does not equal causation thing.
It was actually verified by the vets I worked for. You guys don't have to believe me, I don't care either way.
Just informing OP what experts have told me and I have seen for myself

I didn't clarify myself! I didn't mean brushed off by posters, I mean brushed off by my parents.

In that case, I think you can probably stop worrying about the fence situation.

From what you've said, your parents have had golden retrievers before, and have raised & trained them well enough to work well in your family. So if your parents decide the yard is suitable for a new golden retriever, they probably know what they are talking about!

I know that LOTS of people keep dogs without having a fenced yard, and many of them do just fine.

Too much energy (neighbors had one and it would run around in their yard CONSTANTLY, to the point where all of the grass was gone on his favorite path, and it was just a muddy line. I agree that they check a whole lot of boxes, though, and they are gorgeous!
Then they weren’t given enough stimulation or interaction. Being *constantly* in the backyard would indeed drive them to develop the habits you describe.
But it’s not a result of being too high energy (as in hyperactive). Rather it’s because they are a *highly* intelligent breed (I’ve seen them compared to a 6-7 year old child). They simply cannot be left to their own devices. If they are given moderate exercise, and lots of enrichment & stimulation, they will not be overly energetic.
I suggest you consider researching ways to enrich a pet’s environment. There are lots of toys out there (& even more things you can do that don’t involve toys) that give dogs, cats, and other animals puzzles to solve so that their mind stays stimulated and they don’t end up getting into mischief looking for their own entertainment.

Btw, Cocker spaniels are also very intelligent with plenty of energy that they’ll channel into mischief if not given things to do. They also tend to be pretty vocal. I guess it would translate into “yappiness” if they are not trained and given enough stimulation.

I know several people who have chihuahuas, and their dogs are quiet, with great manners, and not at all like the typical jittery, quivering, snappy growlers. Far from it. They are social & playful, while being obedient and quiet. No incessant barking or yipping... no separation anxiety, and no teeth-bared growls—ever. They sit pretty & wait to be told it’s ok to eat, they’ll bring you a ball or toy, drop it at your feet & bark once or twice, and then sit waiting for you to play.

It all comes down to obedience training. They were trained to have awesome manners & no bad habits. The owners started with them as puppies, and worked hard to train them. They give them things to do that make them use their brain. They are provided puzzle dishes, treat balls, and are stimulated in lots of other ways. They run through their obedience training at least a few times a week. They are never locked in kennels or put outside with nothing to do.

If you don’t want to commit to train a dog and keep them from being bored into neuroses, then maybe it’s not the right time for a new puppy.
Obedience training shouldn’t be just for the show ring.

Back
Top Bottom