Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

Pics
If you don’t want to commit to train a dog and keep them from being bored into neuroses, then maybe it’s not the right time for a new puppy.
Obedience training shouldn’t be just for the show ring.
Of course not! This isn't our first dog, and both of my parents are experienced with training, and I am willing to help.
(Yes I took in and read the rest of your post, but I figured that this was the most important thing to address)

Color is not linked to aggression. It is possible that you saw more aggressive tan/buff cockers locally because a local breeder was producing that specific color, and that breeder also happened to have crappy temperaments.

Agreed, except I could see it happening on a larger scale than that, depending on what breeder and what dogs had the crappy temperament first. One popular sire can have an outsize effect on an entire breed or color variety, across an entire country.

So even though color does not cause the temperament, it may be true that many dogs of a particular color do have a particular temperament.

It was actually verified by the vets I worked for. You guys don't have to believe me, I don't care either way.
Just informing OP what experts have told me and I have seen for myself
Unfortunately veterinarians are not experts in the color genetics field. I'm a veterinary professional and the education given has nothing to do with color or breeds. Most vets really don't know much about breeds at all unless they also happen to be breeders with continued education, and most base their "advice" off of personal experience rather than science.

Agreed, except I could see it happening on a larger scale than that, depending on what breeder and what dogs had the crappy temperament first. One popular sire can have an outsize effect on an entire breed or color variety, across an entire country.

So even though color does not cause the temperament, it may be true that many dogs of a particular color do have a particular temperament.
This is exactly what I was explaining, but it has more to do with who shows up in the pedigree than the actual color. =)

My mom is also interested in schnauzers, westies, and scotties, which are all a bit too small for my immediate liking, but are all very cute!
Not all schnauzers are small. You're probably thinking of miniature, but there's also standard (40ish pounds) and giant (65-90 pounds). Not sure about energy levels, but it might be worth looking into.

Also, what about a Sheltie? Samoyed? Keeshond? I'll keep thinking.

Back
Top Bottom