Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

Pics
So far on my list is (not in particular order)
  • Pembroke Welsh Corgis
    • Pros:
      • Great sizing
      • Not overly borky
      • Energetic and play-with-able, but not too energetic
      • Not overly lazy
      • Not super short hair
      • cute
      • looks long but in fact is just a normal dog proportioned body on stubby legs (good because my brother likes the long look of dachshunds)
      • No GLARING health issues that I know of
    • Cons:
      • Parents don't seem to like them (doesn't mean they dislike them, they just don't seem to like the idea)
      • May be a bit more energetic than we're looking for
      • Things say that they're a bit stubborn when training?
      • Potentially would need obedience classes as an outlet of physical/mental energy
  • Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
    • Pros:
      • not overly energetic but not total potato
      • "eager to please'' when training
      • calm
      • smart
      • cute
      • probably wouldn't need obedience training as an outlet of energy (obviously all dogs need it for basic living, but I"m talking about classes that go beyond basic command)
    • Cons:
      • High pitched bark
      • A bit smaller than we'd like
      • HEALTH. ISSUES.
  • Shetland Sheepdog
    • Pros:
      • Sizing is great
      • fluffy and cute
      • "eager to please" when training
      • apparently average energy level, not high energy but not potato
      • Come in blue merle AND tricolor which makes my heart very happy
      • cute
      • floffy
    • Cons
      • Would probably need obedience classes as an outlet of energy
      • apparently a VERY high borkiness potential
Those are my three frontrunners right now, also on the list is cocker spaniels, and I'll loo into miniature schnauzers, scotties, and westies, because my mom really likes them

Potential for borkiness aside, shelties do also look like the could fit the bill quite nicely.

I think that keeshonds have the apparently undesirable spitz look, though.
Yeah, I thought about both Samoyeds and Keeshonds being spitz, but wasn't sure if it was a deal breaker if all other attributes fit what you're looking for. They were both always on my own wishlist of breeds based on what I read about their personalities.

What about a springer spaniel?

my sister has 2 welsh corgis---big yappers!
Corgis are friendly dogs but they have a lot of potential medical issues - slipped/bulging discs that require back surgery (problem in most did with long backs); anal gland impactions common in tailless dogs); epilepsy, etc., etc. https://www.petmd.com/dog/breeds/c_dg_pembroke_welsh_corgi#you. Adopt an abandoned dog - purebred or mutt - at your local animal shelter and save a life. ☺️
my sister has 2 welsh corgis---big yappers!

I work at a Veterinary clinic--some of the noisiest dogs are the mini Schnauzers! Like ear piercing barking!

Cavaliers are cute and friendly--even the mixes are a joy!

Scotties are rare here (where I live) but the ones I've met have been sweet. Really good temperaments on the Westies too.

Corgis can be a bit sassy and some require a muzzle because they'll let you know how much they dislike something LOL!

Shelties are nice, require lots of grooming. I know three that are certified therapy dogs.

Good luck in your search!

Back
Top Bottom