Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

Pics
Not all schnauzers are small. You're probably thinking of miniature, but there's also standard (40ish pounds) and giant (65-90 pounds). Not sure about energy levels, but it might be worth looking into.

Also, what about a Sheltie? Samoyed? Keeshond? I'll keep thinking.
Giants are NOT what the OP is looking for

Often trained for bite sports, they are high energy, and very high strung

Shelties are too yappy.

Giants are NOT what the OP is looking for

Often trained for bite sports, they are high energy, and very high strung

Shelties are too yappy.
I was simply addressing the size comment OP made about schnauzers. I have no idea about their personality, but she brought them up initially.

Admittedly, I've only known 2 shelties, and one was many years ago, but they were both nice, relatively quiet dogs. Didn't know the breed is generally yappy.

Admittedly, I've only known 2 shelties, and one was many years ago, but they were both nice, relatively quiet dogs. Didn't know the breed is generally yappy.

Most people will say that chihuahuas are very yappy... and many are. But any breed can be taught to have good manners and not bark, yip, whatever just for the sake of doing it.

I’m sorry OP, I guess I misread your comment. It sounded like you weren’t interested in competing/showing— but also like you didn’t feel like you’d be able to do “obedience” training at all (lack of time, etc.)

I just wanted to make sure obedience training wasn’t being equated to only happening for the show ring.

Apologies again.

Not all schnauzers are small. You're probably thinking of miniature, but there's also standard (40ish pounds) and giant (65-90 pounds). Not sure about energy levels, but it might be worth looking into.
I had trouble finding information about standards, and breeders for them, so I'm thinking that a miniature would probably be the schnauzer that we would end up with.
Also, what about a Sheltie? Samoyed? Keeshond? I'll keep thinking.
I don't know anything about sheltie's a keeshonds, but samoyeds have the spitz look that my dad doesn't like (even though I LOVE them) and I think that they may have too much energy.

Most people will say that chihuahuas are very yappy... and many are. But any breed can be taught to have good manners and not bark, yip, whatever just for the sake of doing it.

I’m sorry OP, I guess I misread your comment. It sounded like you weren’t interested in competing/showing— but also like you didn’t feel like you’d be able to do “obedience” training at all (lack of time, etc.)
I'm sorry to the confusion! I, specifically, don't have as much time to do the puppy training, by my parents' timetables work out that they'd be able to do it just fine. I should have been clearer.
I just wanted to make sure obedience training wasn’t being equated to only happening for the show ring.
Totally understandable!
Apologies again.
You're fine! Don't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom