Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

Pics
How about a poodle cross? My parents have just bought a labradoodle from a very reputable breeder. She's adorable, won't get too big (you do have to be careful about what sized poodle the breeder uses), loves everyone, is a cuddly teddy bear but still loves to play and be active, and is very trainable. She also doesn't shed.

Finding a reputable breeder is probably the most essential factor, whatever breed you choose.

Our rescue mutt is an awesome dog - she's a labrador cross, she's smart (smart enough to act dumb sometimes), super fast, loves to play and learn, and is so fantastic with every other animal we own. Our young drake has adopted her and follows her round everywhere. He even sleeps in her kennel (though she prefers not to share so finds somewhere else to sleep). She's 9 years old and fit as a fiddle. Never been sick or injured. She's been the most fantastic first dog and I just knew it the instant I saw her that she was coming home with us. But I do understand that adopting the unknown is more risky than buying a purebred.

Our yard is very easy to fence part of, because the rocky 'cliffs' form nice walls, just not FULLY fence it. Have I said this multiple times? Yes. Am I often brushed off? Yes. Do I know why? Nope!

Did you think I was also suggesting something impossible? Maybe I didn't explain my idea right.

You've already got a chicken run that completely encloses the chickens, is somewhere on the property, but does not enclose the whole yard.

I was trying to suggest something similar for a "doggy toilet," if you want to be able to let the dog off-leash for that. (Obviously, a place for the dog to pee would not need an attached coop, or a predator-proof cover.) It would not be a fenced yard, it would be a small fenced area within the yard.

And if that doesn't work, then certainly don't do it. But I hadn't seen anyone suggest it yet, so I was offering it for consideration. If someone already did suggest it and I didn't notice, then I'm sorry for the duplication.

They are not hyper or anything and I have not found them to need more exercise than any other non-toy breed. They will get fat very quickly if over fed though. And they are little piggies so you cannot free feed them. Measured meals, twice a day and not too many treats.
Free feeding is not something that we know how to deal with for dogs lol (from years of goldens and labs who gobble up ANYTHING)
They are also very very smart. Hence the need for at least some obedience training and things to occupy their mind (be that play time or a specific activity like tracking, herding, agility etc.)
If not doing formal obedience classes, we'd (everyone collectively) will definitely be doing sit, down, recall, drop it, (any other basic ones that I"m forgetting right now, and I individually would like to attempt to focus on heeling, and maybe rolling over (because it's cute)
Also to me yappy partly has to with pitch? They do not have a high pitched bark at all. They sound much bigger than the are lol. And I have never had one that barked excessively.
Oh yeah, totally has to do with pitch.

Did you think I was also suggesting something impossible? Maybe I didn't explain my idea right.

You've already got a chicken run that completely encloses the chickens, is somewhere on the property, but does not enclose the whole yard.

I was trying to suggest something similar for a "doggy toilet," if you want to be able to let the dog off-leash for that. (Obviously, a place for the dog to pee would not need an attached coop, or a predator-proof cover.) It would not be a fenced yard, it would be a small fenced area within the yard.

And if that doesn't work, then certainly don't do it. But I hadn't seen anyone suggest it yet, so I was offering it for consideration. If someone already did suggest it and I didn't notice, then I'm sorry for the duplication.
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't clarify myself! I didn't mean brushed off by posters, I mean brushed off by my parents. You're completely fine!
I generally don't like the idea of fencing a smaller space within space that has the potential to be fenced, because it just doesn't feel great for me, but I'll keep it in mind!

They sound like great dogs!! TBH I never really looked into Corgis very much cause I’ve always looked over them for other herding breeds like BC, Aussie, Kelpie, etc. :oops: I’ve looked into just about every other herding breed there is except corgis 😂🤣🙈

And that makes sense! Ike has this weird kind of high pitched bark LOL it’s weird cause he’s pretty big. It’s gotten pretty deep lately since he’s not a puppy now but it still just has this like... pitch ? To it that’s very strange 😂
Herding breeds like bantam cochins? Or am I missing something?

My family is totally in the market for a dog. In the past, we've always had, and LOVEd, golden retrievers, but our current house and yard setup just,,,,,does not work for them. We can only sort of maybe fence our yard, and my parents are opposed to electric fences.
We've loved the temperament of goldens, if that gives you a good idea of what we're looking for. The ideal dog would:
-be smaller than a golden, but nothing excessively tiny (french bulldog, chihuahua)
-have fur that isn't much shorter than that of a labrador
-would not drool a lot
-NOT YIPPY. THIS IS A MUST.
-must be active enough to take on walks, hikes, etc (not excessively, but we don't want a couch potato)
-should not be any more active than a golden retriever, in fact, preferably would be less active
-nothing that would constantly chase a cat around
-nothing that would bond exclusively to one person and ignore everybody else
-nothing with excessive health problems (bulldog, pug, etc)
-preferably, but not necessarily, enjoys swimming
What I've come up with so far is:

-cardigan corgis
-pembroke welsh corgis
I'm not sure how much my parents like corgis, but they seem to be very good temperament-wise.
-eurasiers
The problems with these is that my dad doesn't like the spitz look, and they're very difficult to find breeders for.
Other, more common spitz breeds, are more energetic than we're looking for.
-cocker spaniels
I haven't pitched these to my parents yet.
Oh ! Pick me! Australian cattle dogs are the sweetest things! They are active and enjoy the outdoors, and they are very affectionate. Not yappy at all.

Back
Top Bottom