Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

Pics
*record scratch noises* frick. I don't think that we have an HOA. I don't think that any have fences, though 😬

I live in a county that has rules about fences. I don't think they specifically ban front yard fences, but they sure do limit the height and some other details. So it's not only HOAs that can be an issue.

And even if a front yard fence is permitted, the house and yard just look a lot different with a fence. Your parents might not want that, and they are the ones who make the final decision.

From what you've said, I think you can trust your parents to understand the needs of a Golden Retriever (or dog of another breed.) So I don't think you need to worry too much about the fence.

Last edited:
I live in a county that has rules about fences. I don't think the6 specifically ban front yard fences, but they sure do limit the height and some other details. So it's not only HOAs that can be an issue.

And even if a front yard fence is permitted, the house and yard just look a lot different with a fence. Your parents might not want that, and they are the ones who make the final decision.

From what you've said, I think you can trust your parents to understand the needs of a Golden Retriever (or dog of another breed.) So I don't think you need to worry too much about the fence.
👍

Ahh, I wasn't on a wait list for 15 years! But from my first dog at 18, through nearly the entirety of my 30s, every dog that found it's way to my house just happened to happen to be a black or mainly black male (with the exception of a rescue Golden and one foundling girl - who was black)

So when I was going to buy a puppy from a breeder as opposed to just keeping the dogs Fate sent my way*, and select ANYTHING I wanted in the Wide World of Dogs, I specifically wanted .... anything else. After 2+ years and 4 litters from 2 breeders (who had recommended each other to me, and knew I was on both their lists) with nothing available except black males, I gave up in disgust and found my lovely GSD girl literally within a week. And then 6 months after that, the next rescue fate sent my way was red-merle Chex and the streak was broken.

Cardigans are, as mentioned, slightly larger, more mellow and more athletic. A far higher proportion of breeders pursue working titles with them. Their faces are less sharp and I love their plumy tails and pretty colors. Pembroke have a temperament that is a bit more feisty (not mean, just a touch terriery) and Cardigans have more of that herding dog mentality that I love so much.

edited to add, rescues/mutts are NOT inherently healthier. A dog with hip dysplasia who mates with another dog with hip dysplasia will have puppies with hip dysplasia, regardless of breeds or lack thereof. I wanted a very well bred dog because I was sick of health issues. My rescues had cancer, allergies, hip dysplasia, stomach issues, coat issues, collie eye anomaly and the final straw was losing my beloved Judd to a congenital heart defect. He wasn't even 3. My purebred Sunni has enjoyed wonderful health, thanks to her tested-clean parents. My very much loved Chex currently has a disgusting tumor stinking up his ear, which we're hesitant to operate on because his heart health is not the best. There are no guarantees in life, but you can certainly stack the odds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom