Help!! I'm overloaded with eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Who922, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Who922

Who922 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Roswell, NM
    I need some ideas about how to sell my eggs and what to sell them for. My chickens are producing between 14-19 eggs a day. My refrigerator is full!!! Any ideas are appreciated.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Do you have roosters, or are you just selling eggs for eating? What breeds do you have?

3. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Jealous! Since mine are molting & the days are shorter, I'm not getting any eggs (although I did get 1 today). I've got 3 pullets that could start laying any day now, but could be a month or so away.

Give some to friends & neighbors!

4. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I sell my eggs from $2-2.50 a dozen. I use a egg scale so my customers always get the large or XL eggs. I use craigslist for advertisement. I sold enough eggs in the last two weeks to make $50... which I spent on chicken feed! [​IMG] if I have tons of eggs and they're getting over a week old I boil up 5 or so dozen grind them and mix them with onions or garlic or red pepper, any good immune booster and feed them back to the girls. They really love me when I do this! I leave the shells on the eggs for extra calcium for them. I get 20-30 eggs aday! And I was getting 40+! Aahk I had to sell some chickens because all I had was eggs in my fridge!

5. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Showoffs! [​IMG]

I'm still getting two per day..............

I have ten slackers out there.

Deb

6. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:Hey, you're getting more than me! [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Any time you just have to get rid of some eggs, either scramble the raw yolks and freeze them, either in small ziplock bags or in ice cube trays, or just cook and feed back to the birds for extra protein. Or, make a couple of 10 egg pound cakes-yum!

I do sell mine on occasion, but usually only to my immediate neighbors and I keep the cost to them very low because they always collect cartons for me.

8. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    when I started with chickens, DH said what are you going to do with all these eggs? Sell them, I said. At one time I had the refrigerator in the garage full of eggs, but now I have none at all in there! Sold them all, and I get three dozen a day. Some folks sell to people at work, church, give them to neighbors , feed them to chickens or chicks. I have cards made up and pass out cards at swaps or sales I regularly attend and I sell eggs there too. I have a sign out by the driveway and advertise on Craigslist . Plus I sell hatching eggs. Oh, and I love egg salad.

9. Woodcox Acre

Woodcox Acre Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    A Mt. Valley in Utah
    In my area those great eggs would sell for 3.50 a doz. You might as well get a little help paying for that
    chicken feed.

10. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I have 9 "laying" hens, and I am getting 1-2 eggs a day right now. But, I do remember when........ If we had too many eggs to eat, I collected egg crates from coworkers and brought them eggs. I also scrambled them up and gave them to the hens for a weekend treat. Eggs are one of those things that should never go bad. There are just too many things you can do with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by