Help!! I'm overloaded with eggs!!

:)Donate them to families in need or your local Food Pantry.
smile.png

Well I could use some eggs right now.

But, I let people know I sell them and I try to keep the price about 50 cents above the store price.

I also give out literature from publications I find about the health of pasture fed and free range eggs.

My wife sells eggs through work. If there is a bulletin board you can use to that.

You can advertize on Craigs list.

For cartons Egg Carton. com occasionally has "seconds" for cheap. I've yet to use any that I bought, cuz friends save them for me, but they're here If I need them.

You can buy cartons that are easy to split to half dozen, and sell them by the half dozen to folks who don't need alot of eggs.

They make nice gifts to friends who've lost their jobs or are working for less money and need a hand.

Or as someone suggested freeze them.

Just a thought--nice once in a while to donate some to the shelters/soup kitchens--I know they love making egg breakfasts especially on weekends for these folks.

I guess I am pretty lucky. My 3 girlies were giving me about 1 1/2 dozen a week for most of the summer and are now down to 1-2 per day. They just turned 7 months old. I have 2 RIR and an EE. It is really the 2 RIR that lay pretty much an egg a day with the EE at 3-4 a week. Since I only have the 3 girls, I give my eggs away first to family and then to friends. I have quite a few in the freezer for me for when they don't lay much with the winter coming.

These girlies are really spoiled too! I cannot even open the door with out my top hen, Scarlet, yelling like crazy until I bring treats. I have a hoop house up right now to over winter some greens for as long as I can just for them
love.gif

I too would suggest selling cheap to neighbors or those who you know don't have much money. It just feels good when you know you can help feed someone else good quality food.

I was able to find egg cartons on Craigslist for free. Also, I ask most everyone I know to save their cartons for me. I fill as many cartons as I can AND

About once a week, I take the surplus eggs to work and leave them on the lunchroom table with a $4.00 a dozen sign and an envelope. By the end of the day the eggs are gone and envelope is full. Everyone is happy :). Helps pay for feed and coworkers love the fresh eggs.

Quote:
In addition to all the good ideas here, you may want to check out Eggzy.net as another source to advertise your eggs.

When I get more eggs than I have room, I give to friends and family, feed back to the animals, chickens, dogs, cat. If I ever get buried in eggs I will also take some to a residence for the elderly in town, or a rehabilitation and recovery home in our local town. I'm sure that they would appreciate the eggs, and the nutrition would help the elderly.

Congrats on your prolific chickens. I was reading a thread about how few eggs people are getting---and realize how great it is to have industrious layers! :eek:) I'm up to averaging 19+ per week now from my three older chooks and my just started pullet.

I took my surplus eggs to my local feed store and sold them for $1.25 a doz but decided to put a sign out at the end of my street "Fresh Eggs $1.00/Doz". It's amazing how many people like a bargain. Now I have a great little egg business. I sell all of my eggs for $2.50 a doz. It pays for the feed.

I just bought 4 grown laying hens and a roo and haven't got the first egg yet
hmm.png
. They've been here for going on 3 weeks. I know they need time to adjust but gosh it would be nice if they'd pick it up a little an earn their keep.

Back
Top Bottom