help i'm sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dadsgirl, Sep 1, 2008.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    raising chickens , and have been around chickens that have dyed with no explanation, and now i have fallen ill with flu like symthoms, ( body aches, fever, headache,) does anyone know if this could be bird flu???

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Since H5N1 flu is not in the U.S., I seriously doubt it. It's the everyday common flu, I'd imagine. Have you seen a doctor?

3. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:I agree. take some Thera flu, Hope u feel better. :|

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sounds like the common flu to me too! It's going around and can hit with a vengence.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I hope you feel better soon-- do think you should see a doctor. BUT, unless you have been overseas chicken farming, no-- not bird flu.

6. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Very, very low odds that it is bird flu. The CDC would be all over it if it was, so unless you have been to Asia in the last week, I wouldnt worry too much [​IMG] Drink lots of fluids, get lots of rest and I hope you feel better soon!

7. mockingbird girl

mockingbird girl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2007
    I just got the flu a few days ago myself--- body aches, fever, sore throat, stuffy nose, coughing... fun fun fun! Totally not chicken related though [​IMG]

Feel better soon..

8. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Got 'skeeters? West Nile Virus has flu-like symptoms.

9. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    thanks for all the get wells, wouldn't even consider the bird flu , except having dead chickens with no explanation. also have skeeters in this area and have been biten several times, and a lady about 8 miles from me was diagnosed last week with west nile. also had a uncle raising quail who became ill, he went to the dr. and it was the bird flu. so just concerned... thanks, angie

10. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    Hot Toddy Remedy
    ( Actually suggested by doctor instead of prescription meds)

2 ounces of whiskey
    1 tablespoon honey
    4 ounces of hot tap water
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 slice of fresh lemon (optional) Ofcource actually being sick to drink this is optional too [​IMG]

Mix all ingredients, stick in the microwave for about a minute.

Not a cure, but you will definitely feel better [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by