Help Incubating Eggs

Because mu humidity would have been lower then normal in incubation should i still knock it up to the normal 65% for lockdown?

I'd put it up to at least 65%, a little more would not hurt.

Is it possible for chicks to shrink wrap before internal pip?

Great question, shows you are thinking. It is highly unlikely but possible. You are dealing with living animals, practically anything is possible. It takes a certain combination of things to shrink-wrap a chick. A lot of time even with fairly low humidity during lockdown and hatch they do not shrink wrap. Many people are quite successful using a fairly low humidity during incubation. Since your first post said some of your air cells were small your incubating humidity probably was not all that low to start with. It's quite possible your instrument is not reading correctly. Be careful to not overthink it and do something harmful to the hatch. Just treat it like a normal incubation and lockdown, at this point I think that is your best chance at a good hatch.

I have 1 egg rocking! That mean internal pip or just getting ready to internal pip?

Could be either, the chick getting into position for internal pip or has already internal pipped. It could be moving to get ready for external pip.

Thanks guys! 1 external pip! But is a different egg to the one that we saw rocking last night, so hoping the other one is still okay.....
Also really struggling with humidity it isnt going above 50-55% and its so full the water is leaking out the holes around the side of the incubator.
Also the temp is really high all of a sudden... around 38-39 Celsius. Turnes the incubator down slightly but hasnt helped?....
Should be fine. I was able to hatch mine out at only 40% humidity or so because my homemade incubator couldn't hold that high of a humidity..... but I guess it depends on the other 20 days of incubation humidity that determines the air cell and if it's good enough for a low humidity lockdown? Whatever the case, mine hatched fine at just 40% though I wouldn't recommend low humidity if you can help it..... maybe it was beginners luck, I don't know.

Last edited:
Second chick out! And it came from the really porous egg that had a big air cell, so hoping means the rest can get out.
3 more with external pips including one that was pipped last night (11hours total) i know they can take 24 hours. But the hatched chicks have rolled him over snd i can see him better. The membrane around the opening has turned brown, does this mean its shrink wrapped? If yes do i still wait the full 24 hours before trying to help? Still alive a beak is moving inside the egg.

Little update for everyone who has helped out!
6 chicks out! One i was worried about i ended up helping and glad i did, when i candled the egg found it hadn't pipped the cell air(was wrong position in egg, had pipped wrong spot) started helping and it was sure ready to come out all veins etc had gone. It is currently in a seperate incubator as i didnt want to open the hatching incubator too much.
And 3 more eggs with external pips so fingers crossed! If they all hatch we will be looking at 9 out of 11 eggs that were fertile! (Last one never started forming)

Just put the eggs into lockdown. Noticed some air cells are on the bigish and others are quite small (so much that it was hard to see the dip in the air cell) any idea why this may be the case? It is a fan forced incubator.
Also suggestions for humidity during lockdown, just not sure as the air cells vary quite a bit.
Himidity has been around 40 to 45 for the first 18 days.

Thanks Ridgerunner! Bought the egss so not sure exactly how long they were stored. One is quite porous and it has a larger air cell.
Just realised i have made the worse mistake in my hatching history.
At about day 6 or 7 i noticed the humidity was around the high/mid 40's so didnt add water.... this went on all the way till about day 12 or 13, humidity was staying mids 40's so no water. After that i started thinking this isnt normal, normally add more water, so thought prehaps my the humidity reader isnt working properly. Day 13 onwards i started adding water daily.
Just realised the humidity reader has obviously been knocked and was measuring humidity outside the incubator (room humidity). I cant believe i didnt pick up on this earlier!!!
The incubator has never run dry, its always had water in it but could have this done damage?
When we candled for lock down we saw movement in a few eggs but still such a stupid mistake. Have i messed this hatch up?

I bet it's fine. The very small air cells would worry me more, would suggest to me that they died at some point in the incubation. And obviously the eggs you picked up had a range of freshness to them, which will give you varying air cell sizes.

Back
Top Bottom