I would mist the eggs and try to keep the humidity up. If they are working away at unzipping I'd let them unless it looks like they are getting shrunk. How long did you have them out of the incubator while they were pipped?

You might also try to help the farthest along (pick the top off carefully and let it push out) and see what it's like. Good luck!

I would mist the eggs and try to keep the humidity up. If they are working away at unzipping I'd let them unless it looks like they are getting shrunk. How long did you have them out of the incubator while they were pipped?

You might also try to help the farthest along (pick the top off carefully and let it push out) and see what it's like. Good luck!

I'll try that then. I think it was open for 2-3 minutes. I wasn't timing it but trying to work as quickly as possible. The incubator has been opened a couple of times now between removing the exploded egg, quickly disinfecting the incubator and try to rescue that egg. I've tried to be so careful and things seemed to be going well until that egg exploded.

I've misted the incubator and helped the 3 remaining eggs that were pipped. Unfortunately one of them was also dead (the very first egg that pipped and started from under the egg) and seemed to have also moved itself in to a position where it suffocated. Very sad to have lost two babies, but I hope that the other two have a better chance and maybe a couple more will follow.

Thank you very much for the good advice and support. ❤️

Are you checking the incubator temp with a separate calibrated thermometer? I ask because the built-in ones can be notoriously inaccurate, and the delayed development of that chick coupled with the overdue hatch date make me think the temperature is too low. Sorry you're having such trouble with this hatch (and shame on your supplier for packaging that poorly).:hugs

I have to agree. I borrowed my uncle's incubator and went by the built in one and had a poor hatch rate. I told him about it and then tells me that it was off and I needed it to be set at 101.5 due to the difference. Will try that next year. Already have enough chicks from broody Hens.

This is what I do.
Once they pip they rest before they continue unzipping. They have air so everything is okay. Don't open the incubator or mess with them because it could dry out the membrane since they have pipped.

Here is a situation I had recently where I had to intervene: One of my chicks unzipped almost all the way and then didn't seem to be able to push the lid off. I left it for a couple of hours but still hadn't managed. I reached in quickly and popped the lid open and waited for it to push itself out.

Until they get to that point, I don't do anything to help.

So the two had were given a really good chance and were able to hatch. They've had about 12 hours to try and me and my partner have been in and out of the brooder try to fix the yellow chicks leg (none of the other eggs have pipped).

We tried taping the legs together first for splayed leg, but his toes were curled in do we ended up making boots. He's had about 4-5 hours in each and has been trying to support himself with his wing. It looks like one of his legs is splaying again, so would it be okay to tape again and use both options? I really hope he survives as I don't want a lonely chick (would definitely try to find day-old chicks locally.

Also I so wonder how soon they can move to the brooder? They're still sleepy but have fluffed up.

What should I do with the other eggs - it's been over 3 weeks now. Should I carefully crack each one open and see what's happened?

Thanks again in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20180707_090211.jpg
    IMG_20180707_090211.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 12
I've finished the incubation process and moved the two survivors to the brooder. We're nursing the yellow chick and hope that we can fix his leg. I've posted on a quail page in my country asking if anyone has day old chicks locally, as I'm worried he won't make it and we'll have a lonely chick.

I candled the other eggs, but couldn't see any movement so I carefully opened each one. My total hatch looks like this.
  • 48 eggs shipped
  • 21 eggs broken in shipment (27)
  • 3 infertile eggs removed at lockdown (24)
  • 2 external pip deaths (22)
After the eggtopsy:
  • 11 mouldy / empty eggs (11)
  • 5 early embryo deaths (6)
  • 4 late embryo deaths (2)
I'm really disappointed with the result. :(

I've finished the incubation process and moved the two survivors to the brooder. We're nursing the yellow chick and hope that we can fix his leg. I've posted on a quail page in my country asking if anyone has day old chicks locally, as I'm worried he won't make it and we'll have a lonely chick.

I candled the other eggs, but couldn't see any movement so I carefully opened each one. My total hatch looks like this.
  • 48 eggs shipped
  • 21 eggs broken in shipment (27)
  • 3 infertile eggs removed at lockdown (24)
  • 2 external pip deaths (22)
After the eggtopsy:
  • 11 mouldy / empty eggs (11)
  • 5 early embryo deaths (6)
  • 4 late embryo deaths (2)
I'm really disappointed with the result. :(

Sorry so few hatched. Getting them some friends is a good idea, Coturnix need a flock. I'm thinking about your little guys and hoping they pull through.

Back
Top Bottom