Help incubator offf

Tex63

In the Brooder
May 6, 2016
I have 56 eggs I started. They are on day 2 now. Yesterday while I was out of town for a few hours the power went off at some point. I left around 1:00 power was on temp good at 37.6c or 99.5f and humidity at 50%. They eggs had been put in the day before so they were just short of one full 24 hour period heading into day 2. When I got home I. The evening around 11:30pm the incubator was off and cold reading 26c around 77f degrees no idea how long. I am in Texas in a small town and the closest grocer is an hour away. So now I'm wondering how many will survive? I have them back up to temp. I don't know how long they were cold but I had the incubator covered in a pillow and blanket so the heat should have been slow to dissipate.

Do you have a chinese incubator? That is one of the worst features of mine! I wish it did not have a power switch and instead just turned on by plugging it in like my Farm Innovators. My power went out around 1 am the other night for 2 seconds. Oddly enough i happened to be awake so I got up and turned it back on right away. I hope I am never in a situation like yours! I keep mine in the styrofoam that it came packaged in, with some holes for ventilation, to help stabilize the temp. That is something for you to consider doing.

The only thing I can suggest is to turn it back on and keep going. You will know in a few days if they were cold too long ,but my guess is they will be okay.

Do you have a chinese incubator? That is one of the worst features of mine! I wish it did not have a power switch and instead just turned on by plugging it in like my Farm Innovators. My power went out around 1 am the other night for 2 seconds. Oddly enough i happened to be awake so I got up and turned it back on right away. I hope I am never in a situation like yours! I keep mine in the styrofoam that it came packaged in, with some holes for ventilation, to help stabilize the temp. That is something for you to consider doing. 

The only thing I can suggest is to turn it back on and keep going. You will know in a few days if they were cold too long ,but my guess is they will be okay. 

Thanks I hope they will yes I have an IAP incubator auto fan, heater, and water trays it also has an auto egg turner and individual egg candler. It has an lcd display for temp, humidity, and day counter. I also have a separate digital thermometer and hygrometer to ensure accurate readings. I guess it's made in China not sure it shipped from Florida I got it on eBay. I was so disappointed when I found it off when I got home last night. It seems to be working well keeping steady temp and humidity until the power went off argggg. I wish I would have known it wouldn't come back on automatically. I just hope it wasn't off to long though I have a suspicion it was awhile.

The only thing I can say is if your power is still off (or for future power outs) use a heat packet. You can use ones for the winter that you put in your gloves (just snap them to get the heat started) or if you have a generator to lay a heating pad in the incubator (not touching the eggs) or a heatable gel packet you stick in the microwave. Those are also helpful to speed up the heating process of your incubator is sluggish to get back to temp.

Thanks I hope they will yes I have an IAP incubator auto fan, heater, and water trays it also has an auto egg turner and individual egg candler. It has an lcd display for temp, humidity, and day counter. I also have a separate digital thermometer and hygrometer to ensure accurate readings. I guess it's made in China not sure it shipped from Florida I got it on eBay. I was so disappointed when I found it off when I got home last night. It seems to be working well keeping steady temp and humidity until the power went off argggg. I wish I would have known it wouldn't come back on automatically. I just hope it wasn't off to long though I have a suspicion it was awhile.

That sounds like mine. Does it look like this or is it the yellow top one?

Mine works very well also. Overall I'm very happy with it, especially given the price, except for the power cutting off like that. Luckily I had read about this issue in a review of another incubator with this sort of controller so I got up to check it, but obviously you can't do that if you are not home or are asleep. I did a little research on this power buttons to see if there is a way to bypass it but it doesn't seem like it.

I have read some posts indicating people receiving eggs in the post that have been accidentally "preincubated" for a few days prior to them receiving them. So basically they develop for a few days, then ae not incubated for a day or two, and then pick up where they left off. Hopefully your hatch is just delayed by half a day and there are no more issues between now and then.

Loss of heart during the first 24-48 hours is the best time (if there is a best time) for that to happen. The good thing is a drop is better than a spike. According to Brinsea: Further scientific data has resulted from experiments concerned specifically with intermittent
chilling of eggs. There is evidence that, during the early phase of incubation, chilling of eggs
to below ‘physiological zero’ (say 25°C/77°F) does less harm than chilling to temperatures
above that level. Embryos up to 7 days old may well survive cooling to near freezing for 24
hours or more without damage.

They have some good info if you are interested on what temps are detrimental at what stages: http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx

Thanks all for the information and tips I'll keep the post updated with hatch rates and development of the eggs as I go along. In the meantime I'll keep my fingers crossed
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f413.png

Back
Top Bottom