Jacke81

Hatching
Jul 26, 2021
Recently a fox got into our backyard and killed one of our ducks and injured the other, a little over a year old khaki Campbell. We originally thought most of the wounds were surface level and a broken wing and we thought in her distress after the incident that she was better left alone than us trying to catch and look at them. After two weeks she seemed much better, she has been eating and drinking water normally since the incident but she seemed to go on normally throughout her routine. But then we noticed something seemed to be oozing on her back. At this point, we caught her and looked at the wound. She seems to have a bone protruding through her back, creating the wound, we have treated it with everything we can and begun to wrap it every day with vet wrap. Today the wound looks significantly smaller, but may still be infected, yet the bone (or cartridge) seems to still want to push through as she moves around. The vet will cost 1,000 dollars to amputate her wing and I'm sure any kind of internal surgery would be even more and probably incredibly traumatic on the poor thing. We are at a loss, we can continue to catch her and wrap it every day but we don't know if that will be helpful. She seems unbothered by it and completely well, even laying eggs again, so though this seems like something we may not be able to heal it feels awful to put her down.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

:welcome Sorry for the circumstances. I would continue treating with a topical antibiotic ointment and wrapping as long as she is showing improvement. Such wounds take time, but can heal completely.

:welcome Sorry for the circumstances. I would continue treating with a topical antibiotic ointment and wrapping as long as she is showing improvement. Such wounds take time, but can heal completely.
Thank you, we will continue the path then!

Back
Top Bottom