HELP!! Integration failed? 19-week chickens are not allowed by hen to roost together

Fintechie

Songster
Oct 23, 2019
New York
My new batch has one cockerel and three pullets. They're free ranged with hens during the days, but are not allowed by hens to roost together at night. Apparently they have the lowest pecking order, though they're about the same size with small hens and the cockerel actually mates with several hens (more like he forced him upon them). The coop has more than enough roost space for them. But they're pecked by hen and chased out. They used to hide in the laying boxes. After we blocked boxes, they now sleep on the floor of the coop.
One of hen is their mom who hatched them. She raised them for six weeks then went on her own business. We might've done the wrong thing not letting her to take them to big coop for night towards end of sixth week?! I've been thinking...

Anyone has similar experience? suggestions what we do now?

Give it time.

If possible make another roost away from the older hens. Its most likely they will all sleep in the same part of the coop after some time. Is it okay if they don’t?

I had trouble with bossy hens hens too when younger hens wanted to roost in the same area. Nothing helped really. Now one hen often sleeps apart from the others. But I don't mind as long as she roosts.

My new batch has one cockerel and three pullets. They're free ranged with hens during the days, but are not allowed by hens to roost together at night. Apparently they have the lowest pecking order, though they're about the same size with small hens and the cockerel actually mates with several hens (more like he forced him upon them). The coop has more than enough roost space for them. But they're pecked by hen and chased out. They used to hide in the laying boxes. After we blocked boxes, they now sleep on the floor of the coop.
One of hen is their mom who hatched them. She raised them for six weeks then went on her own business. We might've done the wrong thing not letting her to take them to big coop for night towards end of sixth week?! I've been thinking...

Anyone has similar experience? suggestions what we do now?
I got a new coop and had problems with one bossy hen literally pushing the rest off the roost. The next couple nights as soon as it got dark, I put the 'unluckies' on the favorite roost and miss bossy on the nearby roost. It was dark and she was unable to see to move. Last night I came home late... They were all sitting peaceably side by side. I don't know if that helps you but I'm sure glad it worked for me! Unhappy hens make an unhappy owner!

I got a new coop and had problems with one bossy hen literally pushing the rest off the roost. The next couple nights as soon as it got dark, I put the 'unluckies' on the favorite roost and miss bossy on the nearby roost. It was dark and she was unable to see to move. Last night I came home late... They were all sitting peaceably side by side. I don't know if that helps you but I'm sure glad it worked for me! Unhappy hens make an unhappy owner!
Thanks for the tip. My husband and I just gave a try - putting one pullet on the roost but she jumped off right away. Not sure if we should've done it in pitch dark. Then another hen fell off. Enough drama for one night. Will try again tomorrow...

Give it time.

If possible make another roost away from the older hens. Its most likely they will all sleep in the same part of the coop after some time. Is it okay if they don’t?

I had trouble with bossy hens hens too when younger hens wanted to roost in the same area. Nothing helped really. Now one hen often sleeps apart from the others. But I don't mind as long as she roosts.
Yes, I only want them all to roost. The coop has two roosts in parallel, four to five apart; one is used by most hens. The other one has a lot of used space... will try to how to make a laddered roost on one side maybe...

Thanks for the tip. My husband and I just gave a try - putting one pullet on the roost but she jumped off right away. Not sure if we should've done it in pitch dark. Then another hen fell off. Enough drama for one night. Will try again tomorrow...
Good luck! I know not everything works for one chicken the same as another. I hope you are able to solve the problem real soon!

Yes, I only want them all to roost. The coop has two roosts in parallel, four to five apart; one is used by most hens. The other one has a lot of used space... will try to how to make a laddered roost on one side maybe...
four to five inches apart? If so, that is a bit too close for them to really move around and get comfy on the roosts. About 12 inches is a good general guideline.

Yes wait until it's dark, they're far more likely to stay put as they have very poor eyesight in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom