Help introducing new pullet and 2 roo

marika_ouellet

In the Brooder
May 6, 2022
Hi!
I need some help with our chickens :)
We had a group of 5 1.5yo hens. We got 3 Faverolles and when they were 6-8 weeks old, we put them in a separate enclosure with the older chickens. We let them in there for a few weeks, maybe until 12 weeks? They were almost the same size when we opened the door so they could mix together.
But everytime I have been to the coop to check them out, they are perched in the roof of the coop completely out of the way and they come down to eat and drink only when the other hens are gone to bed.
I realized one of our Amerauca was chasing them around and pecking on them (she was not the nicest even before that). We got rid of hen that was bullying them but they are still afraid even though I have watched the others and they absolutely don't care about them!
We try to put them in with the hens at night (they sleep in the roof otherwise) but what else can I do to help them integrate?
They are now 16 weeks old and I have heard one of the rooster trying to crow the other day.

( we are also eventually going to get rid of the two roosters (giving them to someone) but I am waiting for the hen to be more incorporated with the flock to do that)
1691798677527.png

Your new pullets will not be accepted as part of the flock until they begin laying. That's why they are getting bullied and chased. The older girls are protecting their status in the pecking order.
Once the pullets start laying they will challenge the pecking order and it will all shift around and they'll be accepted. Some hens will be bully's.. it happens.

If you wait until the pecking order is all set for the most part then you can decide what to do with a constant bully.
But remember...Anytime you add or remove any birds the pecking order will change sometime not at all, other times a lot will change. Your girls will constantly challenge the pecking order to a degree even if it's slightly and not noticable. That's why you'll see constant pecking of higher birds to lower birds at food. They are reinforcing their status in the pecking order or else they will lose it.
So as it stands your pullets are going to be a separate flock until laying begins then they'll become one flock. If their not drawing blood then let them work it out as long as you've got enough space for them to get away and eat without being bullied. Lots of feed stations out of line of sight of each other helps.

Edited to add... If your considering rehoming any boys do it sooner than later. They mature faster than pullets and will wreak havoc on all of the girls....

Last edited:
I separate cockerels from my pullets to prevent them being abused after integrating them. The cockerels will be chased by your older hens if you release them but in a month they'll be breeding them all (or trying) . Your cockerels will force your pullet to breed before she even matures and lays and abuse her for refusing and running away.You aren't doing her any favors keeping the cockerels for her.They need to go or place her in a separate pen.

Back
Top Bottom