1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

HELP!! Is his Wing Broken?? PICS!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by muscovy94, Jul 15, 2010.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Songster

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone I noticed for a few days that my male pigeon was staying on the floor of the loft and that his mate was the only one sitting on the eggs. So finally I picked him to put him by his nest and found that his legs and feet had dried blood all over them and his wing looked broken. One of the chickens must have attacked him. I'm not worried about the blood on his legs - that will heal. But I am VERY WORRIED about his wing. DOES IT LOOK BROKEN? WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP HIM? He can't even fly up to get to his eggs.

Please help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess 10 Years

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Sounds highly possible. Is the blood from his wing, is there an obvious open wound somewhere? We need more info to help.

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    If that wing isn't broken, I'll be surprised. Best to patch it up just in case so it'll heal properly.

This helps:
    http://www.pigeons.biz/pigeons/index.html - click emergency care, and then it'll take you to an article on how to wrap broken wings. (for some reason the article has the same url as the home page)

It would also be good to wash up his feet and put some neosporin or other antibacterial ointment so it doesn't get infected.

4. muscovy94

muscovy94 Songster

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Quote:Thank you so much for the link. Tomorrow I will go and buy some vet tape. This male and his mate have a fertile egg they have been sitting on (they broke the other one). Do I keep letting him sit on it? or do I take him away and just let the female sit on it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: