HELP! Is it inhumane to keep this chicken alive? Predator Attack (Warning: Graphic Photos)

That's what I was afraid of as that's what I squeezed out of her eye socket for days.
Ok here are some better photos. The feathers in that area just pulled up and off fairly easy in one piece with dried puss that has come out (that is what has been happening along this whole area), so there is more skin exposed. How deep of a cut and how long of a cut do I make? I'm pretty nervous to do this and mess something up but I feel like it's my only option. Is there any advice or articles or videos on how to do this? Also how do I hold her still while doing this just lay her down and hold her head down?

Also how does that cut look on the top of her head now that you can see it better do I need to do anything there?

Is this all worth it?

Attachments

• 20180711_094350.jpg
    20180711_094350.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180711_094401.jpg
    20180711_094401.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180711_094627.jpg
    20180711_094627.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 17
I'm not sure if anyone is still following this thread.. but it's coming up on 3 weeks and Lucy is recovering, slowly but surely. We gave her 4 penicillin shots (1/day for 4 days), and that seemed to help. Her last one was a week ago, last Friday. Her infection is still draining albeit very slowly. She's still pretty swollen on that side of her face (photo attached) Do you think I should give her a second round of penicillin? If so, when?

She's now eating and drinking on her own, getting her wit back about her, and a little less lethargic but certainly not back to normal. I still feed her grubs, yogurt, and oregano by hand and her vitamin water through a dropper to be sure she is getting enough nutrients.

In the photo collages of 3 photos: The bottom left is when it happened, bottom right is one week, and top is a couple days ago.
Let me know what you think with the progress, and any suggestions from here!
Thank you
Damn...... she be looking like Rocky after his fights!

You can get exacto knife blades in the craft section of Wal-Mart. #11 blades are pointed and very sharp. Not sterile but sharp enough to do the job.
You can try and wrap her in a towel to hold her still. Or tie her legs to try and keep her still. She's not going to be happy about it no matter what you do but it needs to be cleaned out.

Exacto knife would work well, just sterilize it with alcohol.

If you don't want to go that route, you can also find sterile disposable scalpels at Tractor Supply (at least mine carries them).

I do recommend that you have everything that you can imagine that you may need set-up and ready to go before you start anything, this will make you feel organized and prepared. Walk yourself through the "procedure" in your mind first, visualize what you will do, how you will do it, etc., but be ready for an unknown. Having a helper would be very good.

Exacto knife would work well, just sterilize it with alcohol.

If you don't want to go that route, you can also find sterile disposable scalpels at Tractor Supply (at least mine carries them).

I do recommend that you have everything that you can imagine that you may need set-up and ready to go before you start anything, this will make you feel organized and prepared. Walk yourself through the "procedure" in your mind first, visualize what you will do, how you will do it, etc., but be ready for an unknown. Having a helper would be very good.
Where in tractor supply? I've never seen them in mine.

Back
Top Bottom