Help! Is my chick sick!

Egg_cited

Songster
May 4, 2022
My chicken coop🐓
Hello I have a 4 week old chick that is much smaller then the rest. She is a different breed but she is just growing very slow. She also has a pretty big crop that does go down just very slowly. She eats like crazy but doesn't drink. She sits by herself I put some ACV in there water to booster her digestive system. Any tips? Is she sick?

Attachments

• 20220518_095935.jpg
    20220518_095935.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220518_095844.jpg
    20220518_095844.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220518_095841.jpg
    20220518_095841.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 3
The best way to tell if she has an impacted crop is to check her first thing in the morning. Her crop should have emptied overnight. If not, and it's still sort of hard, it won't clear on its own.

Are you offering them chick grit?

I also offered my chicks some ACV before it got hot outside but it's a controversial subject around here. Another option is to offer Save-A-Chick Electrolytes and Probiotics mixed together. However, whenever you offer an additive like that to their water, you also need to have plain, clean water in a separate container.

If her size is due to genetics, there isn't much you can do. However, her behavior is what's important to note.

Is she lethargic, sleepy-eyed, slow, poor balance, wobbly?

How are her poops? To get her to drink more water, put a little sugar in it instead of the vinegar.

The best way to tell if she has an impacted crop is to check her first thing in the morning. Her crop should have emptied overnight. If not, and it's still sort of hard, it won't clear on its own.

I also offered my chicks some ACV before it got hot outside but it's a controversial subject around here. Another option is to offer Save-A-Chick Electrolytes and Probiotics mixed together. However, whenever you offer an additive like that to their water, you also need to have plain, clean water in a separate container.

They dont have chick grit since there eating just scratch. However I did pick out small pieces from the adult birds and put that in there. In the morning her crop was much much better. It was not big however is was small but weirdly squishy. She does seem quite active. She's doing much better then last night though. I'm mainly concerned on her growing rate.

They dont have chick grit since there eating just scratch. However I did pick out small pieces from the adult birds and put that in there. In the morning her crop was much much better. It was not big however is was small but weirdly squishy. She does seem quite active. She's doing much better then last night though. I'm mainly concerned on her growing rate.
Scratch or actual chick feed? They are too young for scratch, especiallywhen they don't have grit. Scratch isn't really nutritious and shouldn't be used as feed. Think of it as cheetos.

Back
Top Bottom