Help Is My Duckling In Trouble UPDATE--BABY PICTURES PAGE 3

If you do have to open the incubator for a second, you might have a warm, wet sponge or washcloth ready to put in immediately to increase the humidity quickly. I have found that if I cover all the vent holes--even the tiny ones (I keep Post-Its or tape handy)--for just a few minutes, the humidity jumps right back up.

The little guy is sounding very weak. The others are progressing nicely. I hate to think I could help this one and don't do it. Then if I do. I could lose all of them. A very tough call. The color around the pip is so dark, something must be wrong with it. I always lift all the eggs before lockdown. They were all very light.

The zipping progress he has made goes straight across the top of the egg, not around like they normally do.

They should loose around 13 % or so of their original weight during incubation- so they should feel a little lighter than a fresh egg just laid. It is a tough call- and really- you are the only one who can make it. I can see from the photo that it looks like two small holes in the egg - I am wondering if it has started to try and unzip. Do you remember when you first noticed the external pip on this egg??

I noticed it yesterday afternoon. He was peeping very loud and it continued most of the night.

Quote:
Thats still ok- they dont always start off going around , but just poking a few holes - breaking the egg at all allows them a little more room to move to get turning- then you will start to see it starting to go around the egg.

This is amazing!!! The little guy who is hatched and running all over the bator, had to get in on the action and see what I was talking about. He pecked some of the shell off the little colored egg.. I seen the little bill poke out!!!!!
wee.gif
Deifinetly still alive!!!

Great news... Lets hope it stays that way. It all sounds positive. I think we all just tend to get anxious when we arent sure about something when hatching. It may hatch perfectly normally, But it can be best at times to err on the side of caution. At least now you can stop being quite so worried about this little guy for a while. ( Hope its one of the Runner babies- so you can keep it. )

Me too. I just had another one hatch. The bator is full of humidity now. There is several eggs that are zipping nicely. I can't stop worrying about the one. I am going to get the brooder good and warm and hope for the best. Thank you all.. I will be back I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom