In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2018
He just hatched a little while ago— we didn’t see It, but he looks hurt

Attachments

• F33DA001-AF86-4CE9-81B5-4BBD64ADD424.jpeg
    F33DA001-AF86-4CE9-81B5-4BBD64ADD424.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 9
Just looks like a hatchling to me. :wee

She is supposed to be stumbling and falling and getting stuck on her back? Shes 7 hours old now :)

I dont expect her to be a walking expert but she gets so out of breath and looks hurt when shes stuck for so long.

Also, I read the legs can sometimes form wrong, so I wasnt sure if hers are

She is supposed to be stumbling and falling and getting stuck on her back? Shes 7 hours old now :)

I dont expect her to be a walking expert but she gets so out of breath and looks hurt when shes stuck for so long.

Also, I read the legs can sometimes form wrong, so I wasnt sure if hers are
Super early like this... I don't worry.

If it's still falling on it's back after 24 ish hours, then I would totally be concerned.

Legs CAN form wrong. And sometimes it's genetic... but very often it can be caused by temp spikes or drops during your incubation. Or even slip injuries from after hatch inside the incubator if your floor is too slippery. Or nutritional deficit of the parent stock.

Have you any more pippers or zippers?

Not completely sure about stuck on the back...

I would be sure to have some poultry nutri drench or other GOOD supplement in the water.. and maybe also.. do a drop directly to the beak when removing to the brooder... I don't do before close to 24 hours or when I'm sure no others are still working their way out.

She ISN'T hurt... though. ;)

@Pyxis Do you have experience in this area, to offer any advice?

I have found that if the chick cannot stay upright after several hours, I can take a small cup, line it with a paper towel and put the chick in it. The sides of the cup keep the chick upright and force her legs to stay beneath her until they stabilize. She looks strong though so dont give up hope. If she is being noisy, this hopefully will encourage others to join her!

Super early like this... I don't worry.

If it's still falling on it's back after 24 ish hours, then I would totally be concerned.

Legs CAN form wrong. And sometimes it's genetic... but very often it can be caused by temp spikes or drops during your incubation. Or even slip injuries from after hatch inside the incubator if your floor is too slippery. Or nutritional deficit of the parent stock.

Have you any more pippers or zippers?

Not completely sure about stuck on the back...

I would be sure to have some poultry nutri drench or other GOOD supplement in the water.. and maybe also.. do a drop directly to the beak when removing to the brooder... I don't do before close to 24 hours or when I'm sure no others are still working their way out.

She ISN'T hurt... though. ;)

@Pyxis Do you have experience in this area, to offer any advice?

There is another zipper I think.

First pip on this one was 45 hours ago, he worked hard on unzipping all last night and we saw some movement this morning, but with chick running around, I havent seen much from the egg.

I did open the incubator a few times; the chick kept knocking of the water tray cover, and I didnt want him to fall in and drown.

Each time the lid was removed, it was under a minute.

Under 30 sec prob.

Humidity stayed pretty level

One time it dropped to 40 but it was back up in a few minutes, and this was a while ago so the chick in the egg so long has worked on his shell after that

the chick kept knocking of the water tray cover,
Fix this before next time. :)

Some chicks can be acrobatic. :barnie Since I use above grate water well, in order to avoid having to clean the underneath ones... because I run continual hatches like every 4 ish days :oops:...

I was recently using a 4 really "tall" containers (to prevent drowning), that weren't producing enough humidity (I know it's the area). So I added a paper towel "wick" going to sponges... experimenting with wicking... Anyways, I happen to notice that 3 out my 4 jars has chicks inside them. :th I got lucky!!! :jumpy All were completely soaked but alive. Luckily they all dried off and thrived. I WON'T be doing THAT again! :smack

I use tin foil boats for incubation but know that wouldn't work for hatching. So it's back to the drawing board.

If I need to open the bator, I drape things around and stick my arms underneath to trap the air when I open the top. It helps prevent the shocking change that causes shrink wrapping.

:fl :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom