HELP - is she diseased???

Quote:
Not sure if anyone answered this question for you, I don't know about gape worms but lice/mites and other worms suck the life out of chickens and will halt or make egg laying taper off.

Quote:
ok, this hen that I've been asking about with the mites and such...she sleeps in the nest...she never roosts! And she's not laying...and when they're free-ranging, she just sits down on her legs. I thought maybe it was because she was sick...could she be broody also?

Quote:
ok, this hen that I've been asking about with the mites and such...she sleeps in the nest...she never roosts! And she's not laying...and when they're free-ranging, she just sits down on her legs. I thought maybe it was because she was sick...could she be broody also?

Some chickens will sleep in the nestbox because they got used to it when they were younger or she may be sleeping in a nestbox because she's having trouble sharing the roosting pole with your original flock (just a possibility). If she does happen to be broody, she should be staying in her nest after waking also - my broodies didn't voluntarily free-range when they were sitting on eggs. They didn't leave the coop/run area at all. When she's not out free-ranging, does she stay on a nest?

Quote:

Some chickens will sleep in the nestbox because they got used to it when they were younger or she may be sleeping in a nestbox because she's having trouble sharing the roosting pole with your original flock (just a possibility). If she does happen to be broody, she should be staying in her nest after waking also - my broodies didn't voluntarily free-range when they were sitting on eggs. They didn't leave the coop/run area at all. When she's not out free-ranging, does she stay on a nest?

Hm, no. Not always. She sits out on a wooden deck I have in their lay area, away from the other chickens, just sitting on her legs.
Ok, nevermind.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom