HELP! Is this a Cuckoo Maran? Pullet or Roo?

oakparkchick

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 7, 2013
Please help! I have two chicks, one is a six week old Black Austrolorp pullet (supposedly) the other is five weeks old and was sold to me as a Cuckoo Maran pullet. But I am now
neither sure of the gender nor the breed. Is this indeed a pullet? Is it even a Cuckoo Maran. It is feathering very slowly and the coloring seems very light for a Cuckoo Maran pullet. Someone suggested Light Brahma, but that doesn't seem to fit either. Very aggressive behavior---pulls feathers out of her roommate, and doesn't like to be touched... at all. Not sure where to turn...

[/IMG]

Also, while I'm at it, can anyone confirm pullet or roo for my Black Austrolorp? She/he has a very sweet disposition...

Hmm. When I look at Light Brahma chicks, the coloring is only on the head, with a white body, so I really don't see it other than the leg feathering, which could be Brahma or Cuckoo Marans. Any idea about gender? The black one I am certain is a Black Austrolorp and seems to me to be pullet, but I am a newbie, so I am looking for opinions from all you experts out there.

We cannot have roosters where we live, so we need to know ASAP! Also, my husband picked the Cuckoo breed bc of the chocolate colored eggs (certainly not the flighty disposition). If not for that I think I would have gone with either Easter Egger (for its beauty and for blue eggs) and/or a Red Star (heard from many that they will lay all winter long). Opinions most welcome! I am really at a loss here and my kids are desperate for a decision one way or another. The more time that passes, I am more worried about making a switch and having to introduce a two-day old Easter Egger or two-week old Red Star to an already six-week old Black Austrolorp.

Its from a hatchery right!? They have a lot more color outside the normal areas. I have two and both have grey and black in areas that should be white... as they have gotten older they have become more and white.
As for the Australorp looks like a pullet to me. I have a 10 week old who we *think is a pullet and that's what she looked like at that age.

what kind are yours? Cuckoo Marans or Light Brahma? If that's what you think mine is, can you tell about gender yet? What kind of egg layers are they?

Okay now I'm really confused! I just held and petted my Black Austrolorp, who seems to like it, and the alleged Cuckoo Marans, came up and head butted me a few times like she/he was jealous, so I picked her up and petted her too. For the first time, she seemed to tolerate it. Cuckoo Marans has also pulled a few feathers from her roommate and danced around with them in her beak while the other one chased her. What's up with that??

To answer your earlier question, I didn't buy them from a hatchery . . . I got them from my local feed store in Chicago, who I imagine gets them from a hatchery . . .

Also, from what I've read, Light Brahmas have gentle dispositions, while mine has the more typical arrogant, don't-touch-me, attitude of a Cuckoo Marans. Anyone? Please help!

I have not seen a cuckoo maran with feathered legs. Ours are still young, 10 weeks and 6 weeks. Our oldest is queen bee and doesn't LOVE being held but tolerates it, especially if you have treats. :) our younger one seems to be very curious and is no push over but never goes looking for trouble. Everyone I know how has them loves them. They take a bit longer to mature but are supposed to be reliable layers.

Back
Top Bottom