Help!!! Is this a hen or a rooster?

Yessychick

Chirping
Aug 24, 2019
FE91A4E3-921F-44B2-816F-6320FF2B6C7A.jpeg
I purchased 6 chicks that were supposed to be all sexed. However, I don’t know if this chicken is a rooster or a hen. It crows but I’m new to backyard chickens so I don’t know if it’s a rooster crow or a hen crow, as I read both can crow. ‍♀️

Please help me!

Attachments

• 929E9648-C17E-43AD-9083-8025DFCDB6CF.jpeg
    929E9648-C17E-43AD-9083-8025DFCDB6CF.jpeg
    572.9 KB · Views: 17
Oh my gosh!!!! Thank you!!!! Thank you!!! I know absolutely nothing about chickens. I tried to read as much as I can and all are doing spectacular. We assume 3 are laying because we get 2-3 eggs a day (we have 6 chickens).

It's not uncommon in an all hen flock for the dominant hen to crow, and some will go so far as to mount the other hens. She's announcing that she's top hen... and until circumstances change (a rooster becomes available), she's volunteering to guard and protect the flock. Don't expect her to lay eggs while she's assuming this role, that would be rare, indeed.

It's not uncommon in an all hen flock for the dominant hen to crow, and some will go so far as to mount the other hens. She's announcing that she's top hen... and until circumstances change (a rooster becomes available), she's volunteering to guard and protect the flock. Don't expect her to lay eggs while she's assuming this role, that would be rare, indeed.
Fascinating!

Rooster, a blue Cochin hen would not be that dark, and it's comb and wattles aren't that big generally. How old is he?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom