Help! Is this coccidiosis or shedding intestinal lining?

barksy

Chirping
Dec 10, 2015
We have 14-6 week old chicks. I noticed a week ago some orangish/reddish colour in one dropping. It was just the one time so I kept and eye out. Now today I have found more. It's definitely from more then one chick. They are acting perfectly normal running around enjoying life. I have Corid I just don't want to treat unless needed.
They have been going outside, I clean their water daily, it has a small amount of acv in it, we feed them untreated organic feed.
Advice please.
I've had chicks before just never noticed this.

Thanks in advance
IMG_6895.JPG
IMG_6896.JPG
IMG_6899.JPG
IMG_6900.JPG
IMG_6903.JPG

I agree that looks like shed intestinal lining and I often see it around the 6 week mark, so it may be associated with growth and development of the chick. It is good that you have Corid on hand, but if they look healthy and active, I would just monitor them for now and hold back on treatment. I know many people say that Corid is harmless and to use it just in case, but it is a thiamine (vitamin B1) blocker and since some chicks develop paralysis as a result of Vitamin deficiency, I think it makes sense not to use a medicine that blocks an essential vitamin from a developing chick unless it is absolutely necessary.

Regards

Barbara

Thank you very much for everyone's help. I was concerned.
I will continue with apple cider vinagar and give some yogourt.
I am going to hold off on the corid for now and keep a close eye.

Update, it's been almost 3 days and no more coloured poop and all birds are doing well. I will still keep and eye out. Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom