Help! Is this coccidiosis or shedding intestinal lining?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by barksy, Jun 5, 2017.

1. barksy

barksy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2015
    We have 14-6 week old chicks. I noticed a week ago some orangish/reddish colour in one dropping. It was just the one time so I kept and eye out. Now today I have found more. It's definitely from more then one chick. They are acting perfectly normal running around enjoying life. I have Corid I just don't want to treat unless needed.
    They have been going outside, I clean their water daily, it has a small amount of acv in it, we feed them untreated organic feed.
    Advice please.
    I've had chicks before just never noticed this.

Thanks in advance IMG_6895.JPG IMG_6896.JPG IMG_6899.JPG IMG_6900.JPG IMG_6903.JPG

2. barksy

Dec 10, 2015
    Advice please!

3. Chickassan

Chickassan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2017
    Berea, South Carolina
    Looks like lining to me.

barksy likes this.
  4. barksy

Dec 10, 2015
    Thank you for your reply! Is it common to have it happen to more then one chick at a time?

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I agree that looks like shed intestinal lining and I often see it around the 6 week mark, so it may be associated with growth and development of the chick. It is good that you have Corid on hand, but if they look healthy and active, I would just monitor them for now and hold back on treatment. I know many people say that Corid is harmless and to use it just in case, but it is a thiamine (vitamin B1) blocker and since some chicks develop paralysis as a result of Vitamin deficiency, I think it makes sense not to use a medicine that blocks an essential vitamin from a developing chick unless it is absolutely necessary.

Regards

Barbara

barksy likes this.
  6. Chickassan

Chickassan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2017
    Berea, South Carolina
    Yes it is, my chicks shed lining all on the same day scared the pants off me.:)

barksy likes this.
  7. barksy

Dec 10, 2015
    Thank you very much for everyone's help. I was concerned.
    I will continue with apple cider vinagar and give some yogourt.
    I am going to hold off on the corid for now and keep a close eye.

8. barksy

Dec 10, 2015
    Update, it's been almost 3 days and no more coloured poop and all birds are doing well. I will still keep and eye out. Thanks all

9. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Good to hear they are still healthy and poop has returned to normal. Long may it continue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by