Help - I've just killed my Rooster - what did I do wrong?

Squirrelgirl88

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2011
Central Ohio
My Buckeye Rooster is not quite 1 year old. He developed a respiratory problem a few days ago and no local vet will see him. No nasal discharge, just sneezing and open mouth/beak breathing.

I gave him one dose/injection of Tylan 50 and treated with Vet RX two days ago - small improvement. I gave a second dose/injection of Tylan 50 and Vet RX tonight and within 5 minutes he was dead in my arms. He started gasping for air, falling over, his comb turned purple and he died.

I am devastated. What did I do? How do I ever forgive myself?

Last edited:
We got him last summer. We already had Buckeye hens and found this guy headed for the freezer. I bought him and made him head of the flock. He's been perfectly healthy until last week.

I know this sounds odd, but maybe he was allergic to the medicine? I know if I get penicillin in me, I will die. I start by turning purple. A really neat shade of it too.

My Buckeye Rooster is not quite 1 year old. He developed a respiratory problem a few days ago and no local vet will see him. No nasal discharge, just sneezing and open mouth/beak breathing.

I gave him one dose/injection of Tylan 50 and treated with Vet RX two days ago - small improvement. I gave a second dose/injection of Tylan 50 and Vet RX tonight and within 5 minutes he was dead in my arms. He started gasping for air, falling over, his comb turned purple and he died.

I am devastated. What did I do? How do I ever forgive myself?

Is it possible that you got the dosage wrong? Did he show any sign from your last dose? It might be that he had a allergic reaction. If not, then He might have had a seizure, heart attack, or his lung might have collapsed, none of these things you could have prevented, so don't be hard on yourself.

No reaction from the last dose, I gave the same does to another hen in the flock not 2 minutes before him. He literally died within minutes of the shot. I don't know if I hit a blood vessel or what happened. I'm an absolute mess. I can't stop sobbing, and I know I will never forgive myself.

I just filled our incubator with eggs on Sunday. Now I have to hope for his offspring to hatch and a son to replace him.

Don't hurt yourself too badly over this. It happens and you were trying to save him. not a lot of people will try to save a rooster like that. Be happy that he had a good life while under your care and that you were doing the best you could to tend to him.

No reaction from the last dose, I gave the same does to another hen in the flock not 2 minutes before him. He literally died within minutes of the shot. I don't know if I hit a blood vessel or what happened. I'm an absolute mess. I can't stop sobbing, and I know I will never forgive myself.

I just filled our incubator with eggs on Sunday. Now I have to hope for his offspring to hatch and a son to replace him.

I doubt you hit a vein, after you saying this, I really think he died of a cause that had nothing to do with you. He might have had a weakness, and the respiratory problem just brought it out. I hope you get a little male chick from your hatch to replace him =)

Back
Top Bottom