Help !!! Just Found Young Dove

pirtykitty

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Waco, Texas
I was out side tending the chickens and the ducks when I heard something hit close to deck.. We have Two big oak trees in back yard and one of them is close to house... I went to see what it was and Max was chasing a little dove.. I caught it before he got it or the cats or chickens.. It is fully feathered but small...
I have him//her in a large geunia pig cage right now with some water and some cracked corn,sunfower seeds, oats and red millet.. Not sure if its old enough to eat seeds yet..

the Kaytee parrot foumula I do have it from 2009... from last dove.. I also have purina chick starter crumbles, and layena pellets I could crush up and also a bag of gamebird starter I put in freezer a few days ago..
I also noticed that it seems it can't fly .. so not sure it its 3 weeks old yet..
any help ya'll can give me will help.

I can't call a rehabilitator till tomorrow..

if you know how to hand-feed get formula and feed him
smile.png
Maybe one of the ducks will foster him? Probably not.

Thank you...

The silly adult doves keep making a raid on the chick starter I have out for the pullets...

Last edited:
If you have an old Easter basket, ice cream bucket, or some other contraption with a handle, hang it on a tree branch near where you found the dove, put some grass, straw, or other type of bedding in it, and put the baby in the basket. The parents should come back to take care of the baby. If it is fully feathered it is probably a fledgling. They can't fly very well the first few days but it won't be long and it will take off.

If you are worried that the parents won't care for it you can check it in the morning and/or in the evenings to see if it has a full crop, but if it is within hearing distance of the parents they should come to it.

Last edited:
shellyd's advice is perfect! listen to her! and please do not force feed the little dove. we often feel the need to intervene when it is not necessary. mom and dad will be relieved to be able to help their little one out. and the whole "if you touch it, the parents will abandon it" theory is just an old wives tale, so no need to worry!

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Yes most parent will feed young even after leaving the nest, if a cat or another predator doesn't get it, now she had this bird for 8 days to late to put it out now

Last edited:
Turned dove loose a few days ago.... We feed the doves anyway so should be plenty of food for it.. and keep water for everyone.. I'll keep my eye out for it to see it it comes back.. to eat.. an one side of garage we have wild sunflowers and the doves love to come eat there. plus we have several bird feeders

Back
Top Bottom