HELP! Just got a new city backyard flock of 7 chicks 3 months ago, and 2 are cockerels! What do I do?!

Don't get me wrong, I'm pro chicken and really wish laws would make it easier for everyone to keep a couple of hens stress free, but I don't want you to be shocked and unprepared for the awful racket some of the girls can make. Some hens are great and don't get too excited but I personally always end up with at least one, and if I swap the loud one for replacement, someone else starts up where the first yeller took off. :barnie Its a crappy position you're in, good luck with your incognito coop. I think everyone should be able to have a coop if their space allows it and they can provide proper care, can't say a chicken causes any more trouble than a wandering cat (and I assure you I'm equally head over heels for both species!), but I think you might be in for a bit of stress in the future short of your bylaws changing or you relocating with your flock. I find the gg laying song much more obnoxious past the two minute mark than I do the crowing of a rooster.

You have a bachelor coop? Meaning you collect roosters? And would be willing to meet to adopt two 3.5 month old cockerels? One is a Black Australorp and the other is a Plymouth Blue Rock.

In a similar boat...new flock 13 chickens and SIX turned out to be cockerels. They are about 5 months old now. We don't have the neighborhood issues since we are rural and perfectly legal here, but six crowers is just to much for us. We need to rehome to anyone who will take them.

Hunterdon County, NJ... Six adorable cochin bantams, really don't fight with each other, multiple colors.

20200911_102246.jpg

You have a bachelor coop? Meaning you collect roosters? And would be willing to meet to adopt two 3.5 month old cockerels? One is a Black Australorp and the other is a Plymouth Blue Rock.
Yup I do and yes I gladly would there's currently 12 residents and my batchlor coop holds 50-60 I've rescued many from here they will live here till there dieing day I love roosters

Attachments

• 20200901_175210.jpg
    20200901_175210.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200901_175108.jpg
    20200901_175108.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200901_174941.jpg
    20200901_174941.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 7
That question about rehoming was for Flockincrazy.

I appreciate the feedback, everyone.

We had a back yard flock in Austin, Texas for about four years, and feel pretty comfortable with having laying hens and all their sounds in my Detroit backyard. In fact, I know of at least a half dozen other back yard (and front yard) flocks in my small neighborhood alone. They're much more common than I would have thought in a city with a ban.

My main concern was that the roosters would be more annoying to neighbors a few houses away than hens. The other main concern is the future potential aggression.

Otherwise, we know what we've gotten ourselves into with a flock of laying hens, just inexperienced with roosters in our own yard.

Thank you all.

In a similar boat...new flock 13 chickens and SIX turned out to be cockerels. They are about 5 months old now. We don't have the neighborhood issues since we are rural and perfectly legal here, but six crowers is just to much for us. We need to rehome to anyone who will take them.

Hunterdon County, NJ... Six adorable cochin bantams, really don't fight with each other, multiple colors.

View attachment 2333841
I would take them but you are too far away sorry

Yup I do and yes I gladly would there's currently 12 residents and my batchlor coop holds 50-60 I've rescued many from here they will live here till there dieing day I love roosters
I hope this works out!

Back
Top Bottom