Help..keat Being Picked On..all Of A Sudden

poultrypatch

Songster
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
Rochester
Hi...need some Guinea help please. I have 7 of the little darlings. From sounds of it 4 are girls and 3 boys. I noticed this morning when I let them loose in run...are in with chickens...that they and a SL Wyandotte roo were chasing each other around. I couldn't tell who was chasing who. But later when I went out to check on them some of the keats were chasing one of my pearls...think he's a boy. They are about 4 1/2 months old...they got him cornered right in front of the pen gate..he looked like he was tryijng to dig a hole to hide in... which I opened and scooped him out. Couldn't see any damage but brought him in and put him in a dog crate on washing machine. Kept him in until dark out...just brought him out to coop. Shut off the red brooder light that I keep over the waterer so it doesn't freeze. Released him in coop, turned light back on and noticed that first they sort of stalked him then the lavendar male started to peck at him again. Shut light back off and will leave it off for a few hours. Can't leave off all night...don't want water to freeze.
So, what's going on that all of a sudden there's problems in the ranks ??? Are they sexually maturing and perhaps 3 males is one too many ? PLEASE help......I don't want him hurt. What can I do ??
Thanks in advance
Liz
Rochester, MA

Sorry being so late to respond...I just now saw this.
hmm.png
They should be ok. Sounds like they are establishing their pecking order. He might have been a little pushy with a female, too. If the lavender male is attacking this male, then it will get better once they sort it out. They can get a little vicious, though. My dominant female attacked my dominant male until she made his wattles bleed, and I never saw what he did to deserve it.
hu.gif

I usually stay out of it unless they have one cornered (like yours was), then I get him out of the corner and disperse the crowd. The guineas usually pair off one to one, but not always. Maybe the pearl wanted the lavender's girl? Who knows what goes on in a guinea's mind?!? LOL!

They should be fine.

Shelly

Thanks Shelly for your reply. They did seem to work it out. All was ok the next day after I put him back at night and shut the light off for a few hours.
Appreciate your response.
Liz
Rochester, MA

Back
Top Bottom