Help. keep finding dead chicks in nest.

intheforest

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2017
NE Iowa
My Coop
My Coop
Been lurking a long time and just tried hatching with many difficulties. Incubator made it to day18 and the 4 eggs quit. Second attempt lost power 2X but was luckily able to put some under a hen that went broody the day B4. Her 1st try-a 13 mo. Splash silkie. Everything went well. 1st hatched day 21 and 2 were pipped. Next hatches day 22 and is found dead that afternoon. I thought it a fluke accident b/c I tried to shut her in coop but she got out and I thought she couldn't get back so new chick got cold till I noticed a few hours later. Next day egg 3 seemed to be struggling and thought egg might've gotten too cold too. Finally assisted with great results but next morning found dead too. Mom was with chick #1 in another corner not on nest- this one too seemed to have been alone too long also. The 4th egg I put back in the bator since she left the nest. It just hatched but today I found chick # 1 dead in nest and do not know what to do, why this is happening. I thought he was stronger and would be just fine. Is my hen a bad momma that is stepping on them, is the other hen the killer? Do I dare give her the other last chick- She is still broody sitting on eggs again? Did they get to cold, were they hurt by a hen, or sick. The rooster is gone, so no more fertile eggs.

You have another hen with access to the chicks? Other hens will often attack and kill chicks, and sometimes the one hatching will do it too.

Yeah, either one might be The problem. I'm trying to decide if removing the other hen is enough or if mom hurt them. Last Peep is OK for now in the bator.

Silkie are almost always great moms, so I would suspect the other one. It's best to separate mom and babies with a fence for a few weeks until the chicks are strong enough to get away.

Thanks, I am going to try and get a couple chicks at a swap this weekend and give it to her with a couple more separated from the other hen and see if it works finally.

Very sad day. Her final chick, 7 days old, was given back to her last night. Mom and chick seemed content this morning and my daughter checked on her several times and said they were happy. Just got home and it died too. I think she loves them to death and smothers them. She was alone-no one else to blame this time :(

Back
Top Bottom