HELP leg color genetics: Australorp cross with Golden Cuckoo Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TinyBirds, Mar 8, 2011.

1. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I have both Australorps and Golden Cuckoo Marans in the same pen. I want to cross them to get productive hens with nice egg color. I am curious if I could still tell which birds are pure golden cuckoo marans hens though, in case the marans rooster (white/pink legs) mates with a black australorp hen (dark legs). Would the resulting barred hens have dark legs like the mama? I also assume they'd have less golden color in the next (if any), but just hoping leg color can help me tell them apart too, from the pure golden cuckoo hens. I know how to tell the roosters apart because any pure golden cuckoo roosters would have 2 barring genes and end up lighter color, with any cross-breeds being darker (only 1 barring gene). I just don't know much about leg color. I might want to separate them again later (once I set up another pen) and would want to be sure I can tell which are pure golden cuckoo and which ones are a mix. I don't expect to be able to tell until they get older, since I've heard leg color can change over time, but once they grow up, I'm wondering if I could tell at that point based on leg color.

Thanks!!
    Jenny

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    anyone have a guess?

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If both parents are pure for leg color the offspring leg color should be White and plumage color should be Barred and Black.
    Chris

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  4. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: