HELP! Lethargic chicken, possible egg binding!

I don't think it's vent gleet. I've been giving her probiotic yoghurt, she's quite happily eating and drinking now. She seems very alert however she still cannot stand. She's just resting on the ground, ideas anyone?

I am so sorry about your girl. I have one as well that is lethargic and not doing anything. Just laying in the coop day after day for about a week. I thought maybe it was Rye Neck.....because we have had a few with it and was told it was hereditary from the momma. She has no other symptoms...no runny nose, no fever, no apparent egg stuck....no the feeling. I gave her B12 and just have her in the coop in a basket. Not sure what else to do....
hit.gif
What is sour crop?

Sour crop is when the food gets stuck in their crop and basically goes bad. Unfortunately chickens are so very hard to tell what's wrong. Good luck with your girl. Keep an eye on the rest of the flock.

Hello, thankfully she is back to full health now. Turned out to be either a leg/hip problem.

Does she have any other symptoms?

My chicken must have jumped out of the coop, she's quite a heavy bird too. She was very lethargic, wasn't moving, eyes closed, not eating or drinking.. she couldnt even hold her own weight. I ended up keeping her in the house in a toy box full of wood shavings. The other chickens began pecking at her and everyone was sure she was going to pass away. I kept small pots of corn and water in the box with her. Slowly she built her strength up - i kept dipping her beak in water and actimel to keep her hydrated. I began 'chicken rehab therapy' haha. This involved placing a roost on the floor and making her perch on it for small time periods. At first I had to hold her steady and then slowly she became better at holding her weight. She began taking a few steps in the garden when I coaxed her with tomatoes. Then one day she was running around like a brand new chicken!

Sour crop occurs when the crop is blocked i.e. with long grass. If you feel the crop it should feel gritty. If its squishy it's either sour crop or full of water. If you smell the beak and the breath is really bad it's sour crop. I thought my chicken had sour crop - her breath was horrible however i think it must have just been general chicken breath because her crop was just full of water. She was panting and due to her lack of mobility must have been overheating hence she drank a lot of water.

I don't know what to suggest other than to seperate her from the other birds - to protect her from their pecking and to protect the others incase she is infected. Make her a nest up in the house, with food and water and make sure she is warm. Slowly try to eliminate what it could be and keep a close eye on her.

It was a lot of work, 2 months with a messy chicken living in the kitchen! But it was worth it to see her running around the garden today. Plus her and my dog are best friends now. She even thought my house was her new coop for months after. I found her perched in the bathroom next to a frog one night, unbelievable.

She passed away today...found her laying in the coop. Sad....
sad.png
No signs of anything wrong...just not eating, no drinking hardly, no drainage from nose. Just poop all over the backside of her. Empty crop for 5 days...we tried hand feeding her, vitamins...and nothing worked. I am thinking the only thing I know it could of been was parasites...all though I give them all DE and ACV on a regular basis...so that is kind of out too. Just not sure.... I hate not knowing.

She passed away today...found her laying in the coop. Sad....
sad.png
No signs of anything wrong...just not eating, no drinking hardly, no drainage from nose. Just poop all over the backside of her. Empty crop for 5 days...we tried hand feeding her, vitamins...and nothing worked. I am thinking the only thing I know it could of been was parasites...all though I give them all DE and ACV on a regular basis...so that is kind of out too. Just not sure.... I hate not knowing.
Really sorry to hear this! Poor girl :(
Yeah there really isn't anything worse than not knowing!

Back
Top Bottom