Help! Lethargic hen with floppy comb.

Eggs_Benedict

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2023
My 5 month old New Hampshire Red Becky has suddenly started behaving strangely. I let the flock out to free range yesterday morning and she was acting fine. We live where temps get really hot so we bring our chickens inside from time to time to cool off. We brought her in last night and she wasn't her usual chirpy self. She was just standing there, her tail was down and her comb was floppy. We've been keeping her inside away from the rest of the chickens. She's not really eating or drinking by herself. We've had to syringe water her. I noticed a soft egg the other night, and now I'm wondering if it was hers. It was on the ground in the run which was already odd enough. Felt her abdomen to check if she was egg bound but felt nothing strange, and when she does walk it's in a straight line, albeit a slow straight line. Earlier we gave her a soak in some warm water with Epsom salt, but we really got no reaction out of that. She's very lethargic and her poops are yellow and dark green. We've been giving her water with electrolytes and a bit of apple cider vinegar as well as probiotics. We figured she's also pretty low on calcium and gave her some oyster shells, which she picked at a bit. I just really don't wanna lose my girl here, as she will be the third one we've lost this year. This is our first flock so we're always learning new things. Any helpful advice will be much appreciated! 20230720_210130.jpg
20230720_212142.jpg

Try deworming her and the flock. Even if it isn't worms it won't hurt to deworm them. Check them and the coop for mites etc.. provide her with vitamin D3 (helps absorbs calcium etc..) which helps hens. Also provide her with grit. Make sure she dosen't have sour crop or a blocked crop. Check her thoroughly (legs,mouth,crop,eyes) and see how she does. Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom