Help!!!Lice!? Mites!? All at once!!!

GermanKennhuhn

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Oct 10, 2015
New England
A while ago I noticed that my chickens had little bugs crawling all over them. After a bit of research, I determined it was chicken lice. We try to treat our chickens with natural treatments, so I tried DE. Now, a couple weeks later, I noticed that not only the lice have come back, but now they have almost microscopic mites too!!! I don't know what to do! I'm willing to try a stronger medication, but I have newly hatched chicks in my flock, pullets, and full grown chickens as well!!! Help!!!

These rotten little bugs can cause death!
Pyrethrin spray or dust is approved organic, and will work. Permethrin spray and dust is a similar product, not organic, and lasts longer, and it's what I use.
DE is bad for all of us to inhale, and doesn't really work, as you've seen.
Plan to clean out the bedding and spray every surface in the coop, including the ceiling, walls, everything. It's easiest to treat everyone at night while they are roosting, with a head lamp or small flashlight, and a helper if possible. Wear long sleeves, gloves, and especially a N95 face mask when using any product!
You will likely need to retreat in ten to fourteen days too.
Mary

TSC here has Gordon's spray concentrate, and permethrin poultry dust, and most feed stores will carry them, or similar products.
For tiny chicks, a quick wipe with a damp paper towel, or dusting or spraying their bedding would be best. Spray the broody hen, or powder her, and don't overwhelm the little ones. The mites and lice must be gone though!
Wild birds bring them in, and as long as your flock free ranges, or wild birds get into the coop, this will happen occasionally. I'm dealing with mites out there now myself.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom